HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 So let's talk about crossrides!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
noobsaibot9387

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-02-24, 00:32

everyone has an opinion and btw i thought i was starting my own thread but it ended up n here so soory
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edalborez

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-02-24, 00:56

noobsaibot9387 wrote:
everyone has an opinion and btw i thought i was starting my own thread but it ended up n here so soory

Please check this at least 2-3 times before saying anything else. Your topic was merged with this one because you haven't said anything that hasn't already been said and refuted here multiple times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-02-24, 12:49

noobsaibot9387 wrote:
everyone has an opinion and btw i thought i was starting my own thread but it ended up n here so soory

Opinions that aren't based on fact in a fact-based topic are not what this site is about. When you go around saying that, what you're really doing is brushing off what other people have said, rather than actually respecting it. It's a self-defeating phrase.

I suggest doing what Edalborez said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tryston

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-02-24, 12:53

Alice wrote:
noobsaibot9387 wrote:
everyone has an opinion and btw i thought i was starting my own thread but it ended up n here so soory

Opinions that aren't based on fact in a fact-based topic are not what this site is about. When you go around saying that, what you're really doing is brushing off what other people have said, rather than actually respecting it. It's a self-defeating phrase.
God I love this comment so much! Good shit!^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HugeMcLargeTall

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-02-24, 15:13

i just say random nonsense that is ignored... i play an important roll!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-03, 15:00

Was going to post it on that Shadow Paladin thread but decided not to attempt to derail it.

No-one here hopes for 20 Crossrides.

I'm not. I mean in a deck like Pale Moon and Dark Irregulars that SC like mad, if you SC'd the Grade 3 needed to Crossride, you've saved yourself a -1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klaus

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-03, 15:15

Lich_Lord_Fortissimo wrote:
Was going to post it on that Shadow Paladin thread but decided not to attempt to derail it.

No-one here hopes for 20 Crossrides.

I'm not. I mean in a deck like Pale Moon and Dark Irregulars that SC like mad, if you SC'd the Grade 3 needed to Crossride, you've saved yourself a -1.

One thing I hope they do just for shits and grins is never make a CR for Spike Bros. Just to show that Spikes only need manly football shorts to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-03, 18:28

Spikes have Dragger, the second most powerful card in the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Avid

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-19, 00:56

Since I don't think anyone has pointed it out in this topic, doesn't the hail mary Spike Brothers deck the Alice put on the blog counter crossride decks? The notes say it should win in ~3 turns, so there should be a good chance they never get to crossride, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-19, 01:36

Actually not Hail Mary but *whisperwhisperCheckyourPM*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chain11207

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-20, 15:17

I hate crossrides........that is all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-20, 15:54

What a succinct way to express the opinion of the smart people lacking the Mindless Violence mindset.


Last edited by Lich_Lord_Fortissimo on 2013-03-20, 16:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Omnigeek

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-20, 16:07

Please tell me you don't mean RPG as in Role-Playing Gamer, because we don't really think like that. If that is the majority, then they aren't role-players like me and the people I know. We went with balanced group who didn't jsut try to nuke them (the closest we came was a person with a spell that could drop a tent on the enemy).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-03-20, 16:28

Well I was just talking about people who go in guns blazing at the thought of a challenge regardless of odds.

Okay, let me re-phrase that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phoenix_yamato

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-08, 01:13

ok people lets look at this in a point of view i have been lately. Hamburger-Time are fucking annoying lets face it 13k bodies are a pain in anyones ass. (btw why are we still discussing this shit) Hamburger-Time are one of those things that they made to make aich, kai, and ren seem special. but lets see if we can find away to decimate them.

ideas

13k bodies require other players to make atleast 16k collums for the opp to 10k guard. witch not too many clans can do at this point and time. unless they go vanilla build. but here are the clans that can without vanillas.

nurakami
great nature (all day)
ott
gold paladins (of fucking course right?)
dark irregulars
and nova graps.

so there are a grand total of 6 decks that can possibly over whelm the opponent if build and played correctly. basic winning image for said decks

nurakami (dijinn's because they make weak r/g's valid)
great nature (leo-pald enough said)
ott (sakuya + ceo = gg)
gold pals (do i even need to explain this?)
dark irreg (regy and abyss are the shit)
nova graps (either raizers or stern it dosn't really matter at that point)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-08, 01:24

Quote :
(btw why are we still discussing this shit)
Because you bumped a thread that hasn't been active in 2 weeks.

Also I think you mean "make 18k columns"
Also "decimate" means "to remove one tenth of"
Also NONE of those decks "overwhelm" those units ever. Not even close.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phoenix_yamato

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-08, 01:27

they have the capabilities to alice is what i'm saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-08, 01:57

Prove it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TehNACHO

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-08, 03:08

No 'logic' please, I'd like math and numbers instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kasmania

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-09, 03:29

Alice wrote:
Quote :
(btw why are we still discussing this shit)
Because you bumped a thread that hasn't been active in 2 weeks.

Also I think you mean "make 18k columns"
Also "decimate" means "to remove one tenth of"
Also NONE of those decks "overwhelm" those units ever. Not even close.

Uhm...I would personally like to say that decimate, in general everyday usage, does *not* mean "to remove one tenth of"; rather the usual assumed connotation is that of large percentage destruction. It's rather insincere of you to use the more archaic definition, Alice.

Not contesting the clear superiority of Craprides though. The ease of hitting 20/21k columns with current available cards as compared to the practical impossibility of hitting consistent 23k columns without one-off effects means that the 13k body has an absurd advantage over everything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AegisCrow

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-09, 08:20

Kasmania wrote:
It's rather insincere of you to use the more archaic definition, Alice.

You mean the only definition the word has ever had? The definition that's suggested by the spelling of the word?

Centimeter: 1/100th of one meter
Decimeter: 1/10th of one meter

Decimate: oh boy golly, I bet it has to do with 1/10th of something!

Words have specific, contextual meanings regardless of how they're used and abused by common-folk. No amount of misspeaking can change that. Anyone who tells you that synonyms mean the same thing is doing you a disservice. [/English major rant]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kasmania

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-09, 13:29

AegisCrow wrote:

You mean the only definition the word has ever had? The definition that's suggested by the spelling of the word?
I don't know what dictionary you're getting your information from, but this is patently false. Certainly the origin of the word most likely comes from the decimation of 1 in 10 of a Roman cohort (this is actually slightly contested, as potentially earlier uses of the word were in reference to taxing a "tithe"), but in current day usage, it's generally agreed to mean "destruction of a large portion" rather than specifically a tenth. All the dictionary and reference entries I can find back me up on this; certainly the "tenth of" definition is still valid, and grammatically speaking, is the more proper definition, but it is definitely not "the only definition the word has ever had" and currently, not even the definition most used in general usage.

I'm certain you understand this as an English major, but language itself is fluid, and meanings change over time, sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the much worse (don't get me started on "hopefully"). If I were to mention the "wireless", most people would assume I was talking about something along the lines of cell phones or internet, not the radio. If I were to claim to be quite "gay", the word has a very different meaning from what it meant a mere 60 years ago. Clinging to an archaic definition of a word is certainly laudable, but it only leads to confusion in communication if you're using a meaning of the word that isn't the usual understood definition, and isn't clear from context.

For instance, I could use the sentence "The plague decimated the population of the area." What do I mean by this? I could mean that a large swath of the population was killed by the plague, or I could perhaps mean that precisely 10 percent of the population was killed by the plague. Insistence on an outdated definition of a word when a different definition is more commonly accepted is only introducing vagueness into your communication, and does the language a disservice.

Going back to the original topic, while the power level of 13k Vanguards is stupid, I personally (caution, minority opinion here, as well as personal opinion, read on at your own risk) like the current direction that the meta is moving, once I got over my annoyance at McStupidRides. Because 18k is now a target, and with the addition of 12k grade 2 attackers, the magic numbers that you have to hit shift from game to game, encouraging deeper thinking into where you place your units, and emphasizes field scalability more than the 10/11k meta. Attacking a 13k? Drop a 6k behind a 12k. Basic 10k vanguard? Vanilla 8k behind the same 12k. The various permutations of columns you can generate and have to consciously plan for from game to game and think about have increased by quite a bit, and personally speaking, I enjoy having to think more when I'm playing. This most likely (disclaimer: I do not claim to be able to see alternate futures) would not have happened had the meta remained 10/11k, since everyone would simply make 15/20k or 16/21k columns and be done with it, and design decks purely to hit those numbers at all times and none other.

I suppose my opinion on the matter is that DerpRides are themselves a really stupid thing and unbalanced purely due to the innate 13k body, at least until every clan gets some way to make 23k columns consistently, but I like playing in the current meta because gameplay is much more fluid from game to game, and much less predictable. Playing against a 10/11k vanguard is very different from playing against a 12k vanguard, which is different from playing against a 13k vanguard, and I take pleasure in designing decks that have options for tackling all three types (4 really, but 10/11k is similar enough to group together, I feel). Your own mileage may vary.

However, this is now getting into the realm of "personal preference" and "I feel" and all that nonsense that isn't accepted on V Mundi, so I'll simply cut it short here. If every clan (or at least a good portion of them) gains methods to consistently reach 23k rearguard columns similar to the 20/21k rearguard columns that are fairly prevalent right now, then at that point I feel PonyRides will be actually roughly balanced, and a viable archetype to play without feeling guilty. Until then, no. 18k columns against a 13k vanguard are not the same as a 21k column against an 11k vanguard, that 5k bonus is simply too much advantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-09, 18:19

Dictionaries are the worst place to get your definitions. All dictionaries are someone's subjective and often ill-researched opinion on what a word means; especially with Websters which tends to just take whatever user is in vogue and apply it. Just so you know, a word cannot have multiple definitions in the English language. We have an actual word that describes two things with the same spelling and the same pronunciation, but different definitions (and they are counted as different words). It's called a Homonym. But don't take my word for it, he's an actual graph of how words intersect properties:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Homograph_homophone_venn_diagram.svg

None of those things are "identical words" except for when all three properties, spelling, meaning, and pronunciation are exactly identical. Dictionaries only list words with different meanings under the same entry because it's confusing to look something up with the same spelling and pronunciation but different meaning, by nature of printed type. Where I'm going with this is, the whole "Dictionaries are necessarily right" begging the question fallacy you tacitly implied and "words can have multiple valid/vogue meanings" tacit statement too are both completely wrong. If this is what you were taught, then everything you know about English is a lie. People who actually research the meaning of a word are called Etymologists, and they're extremely likely to be right. Don't bother with the tired and fallacious appeal to popularity where the meanings are concerned, because those are people getting something wrong. Without pedants there to reign in incorrect use of words, communication would be a nightmare.

Where I'm going with this is: Fuck your pseudo-intellectual bullshit and fuck you for calling me insincere when you clearly just had an ignorant notion how how the word "decimate" works. I don't even care how rude that is; because the moment you say shit like:
Quote :
It's rather insincere of you to use the more archaic definition, Alice.
THIS bullshit to me, unprovoked, wrong, and even contradicting what you just said which was "connotation", not definition; then you piss me the fuck off and lose the respectful reply that someone deserves.

And no this isn't on topic because this topic is done to fucking death and pointless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AegisCrow

avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-10, 01:24

if you're using 'wireless' to describe something without wires, or 'gay' to describe something flamboyant, you would be correct regardless of what those words are used most frequently to describe.

cultural connotations operate independently from base definitions of words, and if you laud contemporary use of language as being 'right' or 'better' than baseline rules of grammar you're entering a realm of linguistic pain where the professional community's opinion is that one dialect of English is no better than the others, and where it's more important to study the reasons why changes are made to the lexicon, rather than which changes are made.

Additionally, you're using a bandwagon appeal to make your case about a subjective matter. Just because more people do it wrong, doesn't magically make it right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3XXXDDD
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   2013-04-10, 07:42

Off-Topic.

You can beat as many horses to death as you like as long as they're Vanguard horses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: So let's talk about crossrides!   

Back to top Go down
 
So let's talk about crossrides!
Back to top 
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi :: Newbie Lounge-
Jump to: