Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Oh god why

Go down 
+9
Lockon Stratos
ShinkenRed
meeb
Alice
AstoXx
Nysonin609
ScarletWeather
3XXXDDD
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

Oh god why - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-06, 21:12

meeb wrote:
Why is a Gancelot retool going to Royal Paladin? I know they replaced the clan in show with golds, but why let the show dictate real life?

Also, I've thought of a good lore reason, that I hope makes sense. First off, a little explanation of some of my head canon. Okay, after reading the lore of Gancelot, which explains the Solitary part of his name, being that he is a loner as no one likes him being a halfbreed, I was wondering "Well then, Why do his effects depend SO much on another unit?" Then it hit me. Blaster Blade (Another piece of head canon, I always picture Blade as being the leader of some sort of RP special forces or Alfred's personal guard, as Blaster Blade is his most trusted knight. Again, ALL in my head, but makes sense, I hope.) is probably one of Gance's only real friends, not really caring about his heritage, but his skills. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised why it's taken THIS long for a Gancelot retool. You'd think he'd be on the frontlines, searching for his buddy. Frankly, it would of made more sense for HIM to be in the position Garmore's in, as in, the first GP real important card. Ah well, better late than never.(Lorewise. Gamewise, I'd be just fine with never.) Here's hoping he throws off the shacles of his bad reputation, and become the badass he was meant to be. I mean, if we HAVE to have him, he might as well be good. Besides, I want my Blue Falcon deck, so I can make all these stupid old cartoon jokes.(Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets them.)
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-06, 22:01

In the Vulgate Cycle, Lancelot was the most loyal friend of Arthur's nephew - Gawain. Now, in Vanguard lore Gancelot is the fiercely loyal friend of Blaster Blade, and Blaster Blade follows Alfred (believed to be a cross between King Alfred and King Arthur). Gawain is believed by most scholars to have been the counterpart to the Celtic legend Setanta (aka Cu Chulainn). What do we know about Vanguard lore? Shadow Paladins are largely based on Celtic lore and Blaster Blade has a Shadow Paladin counterpart named Blaster Dark (who may be Cu Chulainn if we assume this is true). There is the possibility that Blaster Dark is not strictly the Celtic version of Gawain, as his lore states he could not wield the "Blaster Blade" sword and now hates the person who does. So if Dark is Setanta, it should be known that Bushiroad is attempting to separate the legends into two distinct heros like Hercules and Herakles. The latter example is also why I believe that this may not be evidence against Blaster Blade being Gawain and Blaster Dark being Setanta.
Back to top Go down
ScarletWeather

ScarletWeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-06, 22:46

I kinda doubt Blaster Dark as Setanta/CuChulainn.

He's using a sword. CuChulainn's iconic weapon is a lance/magical spear, and it's arguably better-known than the hero himself. Japan's certainly aware of its existence, too, given that it's just as deeply entrenched in fantasy in their pop culture as it is in the west at this point. The celtic names on Shadow Paladins, besides Macha, are almost entirely reserved for witches/sorcerers and tend to avoid touching on the traitor knights themselves. Blaster Dark also has his own little unique backstory going on- he failed to take Blaster Blade (the weapon, not the wielder) because he wasn't worthy, his regrets and determination fuel his own weapon, and he's led astray by a corrupted entity. If anything, his analogue might be Mordred.

That and he's probably less rooted in mythological parallels and more in Bushi lore being Bushi lore, and not necessarily bound to actual myths.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-06, 23:05

It's true that CuChulainn uses Gae Bulg as a signature weapon, however it's also true that he splits the stone of destiny with his sword. It isn't even clear that Blaster Dark yet wields the Gae Bulg as that could be the "Damned Charging Lance" of Phantom Blaster Dragon. I realize this is speculation, but anything we say will be speculation anyway.

I've considered the possibility that he's Mordred as well. One of Gawain's brothers is Mordred (along with Agravain). It's also possible he's Bercilak as for being Gawain's arch-nemesis.
Back to top Go down
meeb

meeb

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-06, 23:22

Alice wrote:
It's true that CuChulainn uses Gae Bulg as a signature weapon

Man... using a Gae Bulg as a weapon. Dude must have been HUNG.
Back to top Go down
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-07, 05:45

Any news on what the Thunder Break retool's name is?
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-09, 18:43

HE looks like dogshit. At least Gancelot ripoff looks good.
Back to top Go down
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-10, 13:42

I know. He doesn't look like anything has changed, except the pose. Sword's the same. Colour's the same. Appearance's the same. I just hope his skill is don.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-11-10, 20:54

As much as I hate NK/GP support, at least NK kinda needs it since they do about nothing right now.
Back to top Go down
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 07:00

Thunder Break retool revealed!

http://cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/Eraser_Being_Sword_Dragon

Kill a RG for free when you ride it on 4 damage. Still, would you let youself get to this point by turn 3?
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 08:11

I'm pretty sure the entire point of that card is to:
A.) Allow you to come back from HORRIFIC fucking sack on Turn 3
B.) Provide a decent wash by riding over a Grade 3 in late game, to set up a different skill

The only thing I think isn't too fair about this card is the +10000 just for riding it while you're in late game. That's pretty much the worst time to be handing out 2 stages for free to units. The only way this would be balanced is if you incurred some sort of minus, but you don't since he washes his minus :|

Also there are rival translations that say he gets Power +2000. Because it stacks with Wyvern making him a total of 23k and that's 3 stages vs corssrides. If it's +3k, then it's just some random 14k attacker which makes very little sense. Any case, this does well versus CR stuff but it might be a bit devastating for the normal game (like exculpate). It's obviously power creep, which can be okay, so we'll see how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
3XXXDDD
Admin
3XXXDDD

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 09:26

That's not bad at all. It's something I'd be scared of being dropped but "manageable" to some extent.

It's when they start spamming him that I'll get scared.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 09:32

Yeah I mean it's drop a card and they drop a card for basically the equivalent of "PG me" since you basically have to do that anyway in late game.
Back to top Go down
3XXXDDD
Admin
3XXXDDD

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 09:53

Apparently the skill is when you ride ON IT, not when you RIDE IT,

Much tamer now.

Also, apparently this is a "new" mechanic called "Ride Break!" which are LB Skills that activate when you ride over them.
Back to top Go down
Klaus

Klaus

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 13:24

I don't mind it. Nice it's in a trial deck, something to pique new players.

Though I could see a silly deck using him and Indras.
Back to top Go down
Kirosnefakman

Kirosnefakman

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 14:02

I like the new Ride Break mechanic, but the 10000 it's too much I think. The killing thing without cost is enough.
Back to top Go down
WingZero

WingZero

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 14:50

I agree with Alice in that a +10k in the late game is sort of ridiculous. The mechanic itself is fairly interesting and a good one at that, but honestly thats too much.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-05, 22:10

3XXXDDD wrote:
Apparently the skill is when you ride ON IT, not when you RIDE IT,

Much tamer now.

Also, apparently this is a "new" mechanic called "Ride Break!" which are LB Skills that activate when you ride over them.

This changes everything. Okay, let's think about this now.

• 11k that just sits at that power for most of the game. As in from Turn 3 until you get 4 damage and something to ride on top of it.
  • You can't use photon bomber wyvern or his +2k until the turn right before you can use his skill. So this is a neat balancing feature.

Then you ride on top of him with whatever once Late game comes, and it gets +2 stages and you get to kill something. Seems a bit out of hand but let's really look at that:
  • -1 to ride, +1 to kill. Sure it's a simplifier like Amon and that's usually costed by CB:1, but there are plenty of cards where that isn't costed. It's not the same as Cocytus and Thunder Break where their -1, +1 combo is required since you have to ride Grade 3. You don't have to ride on top of him additionally. You use Cocytus because you have to ride and you might as well not net minus doing it. So this is not actually bad. It could be CB:1 just for a show of good faith but I'll let this slide in the name of minor power creep.
  • +2 stages for the new vanguard. Okay, so in Late game you typically get 2 turns. With something like Thunder Break/Cocytus, you get +1 stage during each of those two turns. That's the same as +2 stages total. What you do is borrow from tomorrow to suit today. The thing here is, you get nothing better by using this skill over a normal Power breaker during the given turn you ride it anyway since the difference between a 3 stage and 4 stage Vanguard in late game is nothing; both are PG or no-guard.

The reason this guy is scary is because it all happens at once and for no actual cost. That's my only real problem here. The +2k is totally negligible since he likely only gets it for one turn anyway. The advantage simplifier (+0) being uncosted along with getting +2 stages all at once is just a tiny bit over what an 11k should have for a skill. It's just basically Bushiroad thinking LB:4 means something can go uncosted again when all it is, is a conditional not a cost. But at CB:1 (which would be the fair cost), it wouldn't make any difference anyway and likely wouldn't change anything Narukami does in any build he's a part of. You can't add him to Vermillion for the same purpose since Vermillion Thunderbolt kills front-rows just like Eraser. Most likely, this is for Dungaree or Vasuki (or both). In a deck with Vasuki, what you're actually looking at is a Narukami build that just sits there doing nothing until Late game when it suddenly goes all Altered Beast and POWER UP!
Back to top Go down
ScarletWeather

ScarletWeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-08, 01:30

...Wait did Narukami just get a card that's actually half-decent.

I'm in an alternate universe. Nothing makes sense anymore. Ia, ia, shub-niggurath, the black goat from the woods with a thousand young, etc.
Back to top Go down
SoulKaiser

SoulKaiser

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-09, 04:02

Its a post set 9 vanguard, at this point we may as well call it quits.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty2012-12-09, 05:27

Pretty much for everyone that isn't us. But we have banned the problematic cards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh god why   Oh god why - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh god why
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi :: Cardfight!! Vanguard :: News-
Jump to: