Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Translation Errors General

Go down 
+13
Klaus
Some Gamer Dude
LittleFighterFox
Epideme
Chestnut_Rice
Donkay
ShinkenRed
mastermune
zawarudo
Mizuki
Lockon Stratos
ScarletWeather
Alice
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Donkay

Donkay

Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-23, 20:38

Translation Errors General - Page 2 1RKhX
Well that was a bit mean
Back to top Go down
Chestnut_Rice

Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-23, 21:01

"Vowing" has a long "o" sound to /some body/ who speaks English in the world.

I think they should just keep the general flavour of the name. I'd probably gone with "Existence-bender: Sword Dragon" or some thing.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-23, 21:53

Jesus Christ Bushiroad, that's not how you pronounce Vowing (like growl). In the anime they specifically said Bowing (like throwing).

This makes no fucking sense. And the fact that they tried to humiliate me just pisses me off.

Then again, this is the company that think Cocytus is pronounced "Koh-kyuu-tuss" when it's "Koh-kai-tuss". Both of which are doable in Japanese.
Back to top Go down
Epideme

Epideme

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-23, 23:34

So why is Eraser changed into Eradicator on these new Narukami?
Back to top Go down
Chestnut_Rice

Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-24, 00:27

Epideme wrote:
So why is Eraser changed into Eradicator on these new Narukami?

I think they meant "to erase" in a slightly more genocidal way.
Back to top Go down
LittleFighterFox

LittleFighterFox

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-24, 16:41

I remember when I first started playing the Continous was translated as Passive. Then Bushiroad changed it the continuous when it turned English.

Anyone know why it changed?
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-24, 16:50

Well, the kanji ei "永“ means forever or continuous, while passive is like involving an external force or invisible role. So continuous is the more accurate translation for 'ei'. Hopefully I answer your question correctly?
Back to top Go down
LittleFighterFox

LittleFighterFox

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-24, 16:55

Ya, it did. Passive sounded better though, so I often catch myself saying CEO's passive ability activates and some of the newcomers get confused.
Back to top Go down
Some Gamer Dude

Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-24, 22:20

I highly suspect Brutal Jack is actually the correct intention and Genocide Jack is both offensive and caused by their lack of a grasp of the English language.

Let's look at the lore for a second;

Quote :
One of the strongest amongst the top ranked Nova Grapplers, he's a cruel fighter who repeatedly loses due to clear rules violations. Even against enemies who beg for their lives, he continues swinging cruel blows into his foe without a hint of hesitation.

and his on-card lore/quote?

Quote :
No rules! Brutal Blaster!

Anyone notice anything very, very strange about that?

Yeah, exactly. He in no way wants to kill entire races of Cray or whatever. Does he want all Aliens out of the Nova Grappler territory? Does he want Humans, Elves, Demons and Dragons to not-exist anymore? No. He doesn't, and nothing, absolutely nothing, but that stupid name suggests it.

He's more-or-less Balrog/Mike Bison from Street Fighter.

But I understand exactly why Genocide happened. The Japanese don't understand what it means, they just like it. This is not the first time I'm aware of the Japanese simply not getting the meaning of Genocide, just thinking, rightfully, it's an impressive word.

Still trying to understand why a Bhuddist/Shinto/Hindi thing has a German title, other than 'German is cool'. Could have been worse, Asura Ceaser doesn't even sound good.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-25, 00:47

LittleFighterFox wrote:
Ya, it did. Passive sounded better though, so I often catch myself saying CEO's passive ability activates and some of the newcomers get confused.
Passive is something that's always on. Continuous means that once it starts, it keeps going provided that you can keep it going. They're very different things. Lingering effects like that in Vanguard have a condition that you have to meet most of the time so CONT makes more sense.

And as for Jack, Genocide Jack has alliteration which is why it sounds good. Brutal Jack sounds like a thirteen year old came up with it in his doodle book. No one actually takes his name literally anyway. Genocide doesn't even mean killing an entire race. It means targeting a race or races (a group or groups) for eradication. Considering he's built for the Nova Grapple, I'd say that he targets Aliens and 'Roids.
Back to top Go down
Some Gamer Dude

Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-25, 01:09

I will not argue that Genocide Jack sounds a hell of a lot better than Brutal Jack, I just found the really weird naming of Jack that got him censored worth bringing up in a thread that started with 747 Dragon.
Back to top Go down
Klaus

Klaus

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-25, 01:32

They could of changed it to Brutal Barry in English to humor me at least.

But I still find it really silly that any company would struggle with translations. I'm certain there's some one they can pay to make it much much clearer. Though I guess that pay part puts them off.
Back to top Go down
Some Gamer Dude

Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-25, 01:56

I think they were in a No-Win situation. Never been to Singapore and I'm not familiar with the people or Singlish, but they seem to know Genocide wouldn't fly, the thesaurus gave no good alternate words for Brutal, likewise, removing Jack would break the, seemingly abandoned, Card theme.
Back to top Go down
Donkay

Donkay

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-25, 16:26

Alice wrote:
Jesus Christ Bushiroad, that's not how you pronounce Vowing (like growl). In the anime they specifically said Bowing (like throwing).

This makes no fucking sense. And the fact that they tried to humiliate me just pisses me off.

Then again, this is the company that think Cocytus is pronounced "Koh-kyuu-tuss" when it's "Koh-kai-tuss". Both of which are doable in Japanese.

AND THEN I CAME UP WITH THISTranslation Errors General - Page 2 1Sy9e
Back to top Go down
Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

Lich_Lord_Fortissimo

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-25, 16:29

Massive argument on the pronounciation of a new Eradicator Critical Trigger. Find and read here.

http://cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/Spear_of_Obliteration_Eradicator,_Brooks#comm-243936
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-26, 01:15

I have never come to anyone who says Brutal Jack so far in Singapore. I created some custom names for a few cards by using some Singlish because their names are just too boring/long.
So anyone knows what will happens to Genocide Joker when it arrives to E-meta?
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-26, 07:22

I knew the "Eradicator" flub would trip up some future translation. I fucking knew it. This is why イレイザー should stay Eraser god dammit.

Alright let me try my hand at this.

Translation Errors General - Page 2 Brooks

Altogether: 神槍の抹消者 ボルックス
Separate out the Kanji from the Kana:

The first word of the name is:
神槍
The first Kanji is Shin/Jin/Kami or God. The second is shou or yari (Japan only) meaning spear. The の conjuncts the first two words with the next three, making them related either as "of", "from", or some other comparison of ownership and similarity.

抹 or matsu, is erase and 消 (shou) is vanish, and we're familiar with 者 being "he who". It would be "Eraser", "Eradicator", "Obliterator" etc.

The remaining kana is ボルックス or "Boruukusu", possibly Blooks, Boruks, Boluks, or Brooks. Of those, Brooks is most likely.

We know that even though matsushousha is an Eraser or Eradicator, it is not the keyword "イレイザー" (Ireiiza). Therefore Bushiroad made it very confusing when we come upon an actual Eradicator. What we're looking at is, "God's Obliterating Spear, Brooks" or "Obliterating Divine Spear, Brooks" or "Divine Spear of Obliteration, Brooks". Since Divine Spear is one thing and Obliterator (as in a person) is another thing, I think we can rule out anything that doesn't use the exact word "Obliterator". To make that work in English without compromising the meaning is very difficult. Thunderbolt might be a viable replacement for Divine Spear since he's holding one and Thunderbolts (capital T) were thought by many cultures to be the spear of the sky god. Such as Indra, Zeus, and Raijin. Unfortunately, English is vague so putting Obliterator after his description (Divine Spear) makes it sound like Brooks kills spears. I think the best compromise is something like:

Thunderbolt of Obliteration, Brooks.

Divine Spear of Obliteration, Brooks.

But he's not an Eraser archetype.
Back to top Go down
Some Gamer Dude

Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-27, 06:18

I have a question about Nubatama and Murakumo.

The wiki has their names in photonetics as Ninjuu/Ninryu, Ninja Beast and Dragon. Why Stealth then? Unless Ninja can straight up mean stealth...
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-27, 07:23

Nin can mean hidden or person. So literally hidden beast or hidden dragon. Hence stealth. It comes from 忍者 which is LITERALLY nin = knife to the heart (or to bear); and 者 sha = he who. He who knifes people in the heart is kind of weird, but was an accurate descriptor of the mythological feudal mercenaries. The Kanji they use isn't the one for hidden, but both are pronounced nin and 忍 gets across the same idea. Namely that it's an assassin. In the native Japanese Kunyomi reading, it's pronounced Shinobi, but in this case, they are going with Onyomi "nin".
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-31, 20:05

OH BOY HERE WE GO AGAIN. Same old song and dance. New shit released. Everyone uses google translate to get the most incorrect and literal translation ever.

First up is this guy.

Translation Errors General - Page 2 Saphire
There's so much wrong with this translation. Their given name is Knight of Far Bow, Sapphire. Holy fuck you had better be shitting me.

遠矢の騎士 サフィール

First thing is obvious:
の - Descriptor
騎士 - Cavalryman. Which translates more easily into Knight. Obvious.

遠 - Distant, far away, "of significance, impact, or profoundness"
矢 - arrow or oath
Obviously he's an archer so this is going to be Distant Arrow version of the reading. So a knight of distant arrows? That hardly works in English. A good translation that retains its meaning would be Soaring Arrow Knight or Knight of the Soaring Arrow(s). A distant arrow is also one that "flies". So Knight of Arrow Flight is correct, even though it's clunky. I submit either Soaring Arrow Knight or Knight of the Longbow. Longbow because, A. he's using one and B. it's technically accurate. While "Far Bow" literally makes no sense at all, longbow is a real thing that is built specifically for achieving the goal of distant arrow flights. It's not called a longbow for shits and giggles.

サフィール
So fucking obvious it hurts. Please stop this Sapphire shit. It says SaFuuRu., SAFIR. You know like the actual Arthurian knight SAFIR.

Soaring Arrow Knight, Safir
Knight of the Longbow, Safir

Whatever you want.

Translation Errors General - Page 2 KnightofBreakFistSegfriedes
So this one is given as Knight of Break Fist, Segfriedes. What the double fuck muffins in orbit?

砕岩の騎士 セグワリデス
Just GLANCING at this, I could tell you it's going to be called Knight of Rockbreaking, Segwarides but okay, I'll bite.

Again, obvious:
の - Descriptor
騎士 - Knight

砕 - Break or Crush
岩 - Rock

GEE THIS LOOKS DIFFICULT. I wonder if it's fucking possibly Rock Breaker or Rock Smasher? Moving the fuck on!

セグワリデス - Seguwarudesu
Easy as fuck if you know your knights. You can tell that Germanic rules apply, instantly. So it's Segwarides. Which is yet another actual knight of the round. Please die in a fire wikiafags.

Rocksmashing Knight, Segwarides
Knight of Rock Breaking, Segwarides

Where the FUCK do you get "fist" and "Seigfried" from? Holy shit.
Back to top Go down
Omnigeek

Omnigeek

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-01-31, 23:12

Alice wrote:

Soaring Arrow Knight, Safir
Knight of the Longbow, Safir

Or even "Knight of the Flying Arrow, Safir" could probably work.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-03-15, 21:10

Haven't updated this in a while but I wanted to point out some obvious ones.

That cute new doggie Gold Paladin they have as "Bomergal the Liberator" is actually Pomergal. ぽ and ぼ are different. ぽ is for Po, as in Pomeranian. Which is his breed. Should be Pomergal

I also finally took a look at what "-gal" is in the Japanese because I finally read a Japanese -gal card. Turns out it's actually garu, the Japanese sound of a wolf howling "garu garu". So they would be more correctly translated into English as Flobark, Runebark, Blubark, Barkbark, etc. And "Full-bau" is like the English sound for a dog "Bow wow". So Fullbow or Foolbow.

Just interesting stuff I thought I'd add.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-03-21, 17:35

This one isn't actually an error, but more like a question. Aqua Force often have the word:

水将 (Suishou)

In their names which is literally "Water General". However, I translated it as Marine General due to Marines referring to a branch of the Navy and also to oceanic (adjective). But I only did it because I wasn't sure if "Admiral" would be acceptable as a translation. Admiral was instantly my first go-to because there's no such thing as Marine General in Western militaries. In fact, the same rank as General is Admiral in the US Navy at least.

So I ask all you fellow Japnerds, is 水将 acceptable as "Admiral"? If so, it will lead to me editing my Aqua Force article.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-03-21, 18:36

Here's what I ended up going with and why:

*Admiral - The original word in Japanese is 水将 (Suishou) which can be literally translated as "Water General". However, literal translations are almost useless since they do not do the proper job of localizing ideas. Instead, I originally took to my own translation of "Marine General" because it was slightly less literal while putting in more of the military and oceanic meanings together (Marines are a branch of the Navy). However, my original instincts were to translate this word as "Admiral" which I have now done after some research. I'd like to make two arguments in favor of that translation:

US Military: http://puu.sh/2lC8V
You can see that the US Military rankings (Navy highlighted in bold), equate ADM or Admiral with GEN or General. So that takes care of the translation on one side.

JP Military: http://puu.sh/2lCc0
You can see that the JP Military's Maritime Self-Defense Force (aka Navy) also has their rank of Admiral equated with General to the US. In addition, the "type B" insignia has the typical four-star pattern that the US Navy also gives to its admirals. If you look at the Vice-Admiral, you see the word 将 (shou) which was in 水将. Admiral is a bit more complex as: 統合・海上幕僚長 (Chief of Staff at Sea). However, it stands to note that all of this circumstantial evidence adds up to Admiral being the correct translation, even if 水将 is a really "kiddy" wat to say "Admiral". After all, One Piece called them 大将 (Taishou), which is a pretty close children's version of the military rank just like Suishou.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty2013-03-29, 07:23

Translation Errors General - Page 2 BT08-042_R

Here's another one I noticed while perusing the Wikia for my Set 8 updates. The Japanese ぐるぐる or guruguru is an onomatopeia for the action of spinning or coiling. It's not "loop-the-loop". Whatever translator chose that probably just did so because ぐるぐる sort of sounds like loop-the-loop and it kinda-almost has the sameish meaning. Coiling or Spinning Duckbill are far more accurate, and English doesn't have a sound-word for that. The point of translation is proper idea localization, not to make your word sound similar to the original Japanese at the cost of accuracy.

I also had to tell off some wikiatards who were being stupid about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Translation Errors General   Translation Errors General - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Translation Errors General
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next