View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 01:42

Alice wrote:
Some Gamer Dude wrote:
Alice wrote:
More specifically the backs have to be opaque enough that you can't read the word Vanguard on the back of the card.

Newer Ultra Pro sleeves aren't opaque though, I can see Vanguard fairly clearly through my White sleeves and my newer, Vanguard modified, Red sleeves from Ultra Pro.

Alice wrote:
That's incorrect. The only expressly forbidden sleeves are ones with any obscuring on the front. Ultra Pro is the only sleeve company I've ever SEEN that puts shit on the front of its sleeves.

How about Ultra Pro's Clear turned backwards? The circle is on the back.
Yeah UP's quality has diminished and their stock is getting thinner.

No obviously you cannot use any type of clears, whether they're front or back. Because you can read Vanguard!

So if I like the Vanguard card backs, I have to pay some 10 vs 6 for thicker, clear Ultra Pros. Way to monopolize, bushi.

So how about YGO sleeves with penny sleeves over them? That's how my Spikes are set up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 01:54

Some Gamer Dude wrote:

So how about YGO sleeves with penny sleeves over them? That's how my Spikes are set up.
Quote :
So how about YGO sleeves with penny sleeves over them?
Quote :
YGO sleeves with penny sleeves
Quote :
penny sleeves

Dear God.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 06:13

Yeah. What about it? They're cheap and if you don't shuffle like a madman or madwoman, last a reasonable amount time, saving you from buying lots of picture sleeves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redbeastmage

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 13:33

Having finally gotten my hands on them, let me say this:

KMC Matte mini Red/Black.

There are no other sleeves. Stop what you are doing. Find these. Hands down the best. Not even close. No hyperbole. Not in a million years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 18:08

Some Gamer Dude wrote:
So if I like the Vanguard card backs, I have to pay some 10 vs 6 for thicker, clear Ultra Pros. Way to monopolize, bushi.

That's not what they are doing. They're trying to prevent card marking. Same goes for yugioh. If you wanted the Konami swirl you gotta buy theirs. Because it's copyrighted. Not the same as monopoly.

Some Gamer Dude wrote:
Yeah. What about it? They're cheap and if you don't shuffle like a madman or madwoman, last a reasonable amount time, saving you from buying lots of picture sleeves.
Penny sleeves are a thin piece of cellophane. They only protect it from shallow scratches. Not deeper scratches, weather, bends, natural bending, or anything else. It's almost the same as playing without sleeves. Almost.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 19:11

I might have a very different idea of penny sleeves, I'm talking about the cleer standard size ultra pro card sleeves in the zip lock back.g. I assumed those were penny sleeves as they are the cheapest available. I've been using them for years and never have to remplace them for a reason other than dirt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 20:33

Penny sleeves are cheap shitty cellophane that each cost one penny. usually you get 100 for a dollar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 20:46

Ah, well I don't think those are sold here, stores just call what I described penny sleeves, despite Australia not using pennies and the price being 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-09, 02:49

Just got some of these today:

http://www.tcgprotect.co.nz/site/images/307215.jpg

They are literally like the Ferrari of card protection oh my God AWIEawelhgaluweghluawheg lovin' it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-09, 03:13

Want.
Waaaaaaaaaaant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragonāˆžBlade

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-09, 19:26

Chestnut, did you really find those in vanguard size?
That's awesome. Means they do exist, despite the fact that I keep seeing them in nothing but standard size. T_T
Even I love how those feel, despite usually not loving plain sleeves so much (I make exceptions for those, player's choice white, and dragon shield.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3XXXDDD
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-09, 20:22

Chestnut_Rice wrote:

They are literally like the Ferrari of card protection oh my God AWIEawelhgaluweghluawheg lovin' it.

Aren't they also 10 dollars per set?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Omnigeek

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-09, 21:44

How many are in a set?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 01:58

3XXXDDD wrote:
Chestnut_Rice wrote:

Aren't they also 10 dollars per set?
I gladly paid ten for my Dragon Shields. And weebs pay ten for Bushiroad. KMC sound better than either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexander.stone88

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 04:33

its better to pay 10 dollers for something that lasts then 4 for something you will replace 5 times.it used to happen with me and magic, till I found dragonshields. and kmc is now my go to brand for smaller card games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junri

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 15:12

You can get them for 7 dollars actually. Which is nice for a set of 80.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 15:56

junri wrote:
You can get them for 7 dollars actually. Which is nice for a set of 80.
This just makes me want them harder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corundum

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 16:33

Omnigeek wrote:
How many are in a set?

Well, a single pack of KMC has 50 sleeves, so I'd assume the doubles would have 100. Then again, they could toss in a few extras, but I'm willing to bet on 100 sleeves in the twin set.

EDIT: Wow, I'm blind, it says 80 sleeves in the pic. I hope that pack isn't twice the price of the 50 sleeve set. Then again, those red ones are standard sleeves and I've only bought the ones that are mini-sized. And I must agree that they are wonderful to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 17:41

I got the exact thing in the picture. So yea, 80 standard-size sleeves. At the register it was like 11.25 CAD but there was a 25% off sale going on so IDK what the math was but it turned out maybe like 9 some thing after tax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corundum

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 18:05

A pricetag of around 10ish for KMCs sounds decent. I still think that sort of money is a bit steep for sleeves in general (or maybe I'm just cheap), but in this case you're definitely getting what you pay for. I'm surprised you didn't go for the mini size in that color - did you want some extra sleeves, perhaps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 18:11

No I actually wanted to sleeve one of my Magic decks, hence the standard size. I use clear and golden Dragon Shields for my Bermuda Triangle and Angel Feather, respectively and they are pretty great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corundum

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-10, 18:22

Ah, I see. I hope they're holding up well enough.

I kinda wish KMC's mini-matte sleeves had more color choice, like their standard sizes - just red and black would tire after a while.

Chestnut, do you happen to know if stores stock Dragon Shield colors that are out of print? I rather liked the "fusion" color, and was bummed when I saw it was no longer available.

I'm actually curious if any of the current sleeve manufacturers produce a color like beige or the equivalent - essentially colors that aren't very intense (so white or black wouldn't count, but sandy brown would).

...and apparently, my favorite sort of sleeve colors are the dullest. Huh.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edalborez

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-13, 12:57

So... fresh sleeves. Y'know how they sort of rise and you spend a day or a few flattening them to fix it?

If you're ordered to change your sleeves in a tournament (fresh set), anything you can do about this? Typically haven't seen the whole stack tip over but it looks extremely goofy in any case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-13, 13:24

If you have an ice cooler with you :|

The heat removal will shrink the plastic and cause it to lose volume. But that could take at least 15 mins to half an hour even if you had that. Best idea is keep your supaspecial backups compressed under something heavy and flat in your bag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-03-13, 22:00

Alice wrote:
The heat removal will shrink the plastic and cause it to lose volume.
I've actually thought of this before. My golden Dragon Shields are getting a bit too friction-y, so I thought I'd put them on a hot air vent or some thing for a while to make them slide a bit easier, would this work or will it just damage the plastic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   

Back to top Go down

Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi :: Newbie Lounge-
Jump to: