HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Donkay

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-18, 18:55

I use those really expensive Bushiroad CFVG sleeves for my main deck. They seem to hold up pretty well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-18, 18:58

Donkay wrote:
I use those really expensive Bushiroad CFVG sleeves for my main deck. They seem to hold up pretty well...
I'm hoping to try them out soon so I can review them in more detail. I have a friend with some Flores she might send me at some point, so I'll chime in once I can use them.

If I can also get some KMC (mat and smooth) and Legion, I'll just run a whole gamut of reviews in detail on each sleeve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donkay

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-18, 19:51

Alice wrote:

I'm hoping to try them out soon so I can review them in more detail. I have a friend with some Flores she might send me at some point, so I'll chime in once I can use them.

If I can also get some KMC (mat and smooth) and Legion, I'll just run a whole gamut of reviews in detail on each sleeve.

Well the sleeves I'm using best be close to the top. $10 expensive ;_;
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexander.stone88

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-18, 20:23

note one important thing:price does NOT dictate quality.just cause somthing is expensive, doesn't make it good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hexagon

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-22, 13:32

Well i kinda use single color sleeves from ultra pro (Dragon shields seem to break after two minutes of use). Haven't really found any good sleeves with images.

So a little question are the CFV sleeves any good cos i really want to try em but i need to order them online so i don't want to spend some extra on sleeves and then after 1-2 shuffles they break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-22, 16:35

alexander.stone88 wrote:
note one important thing:price does NOT dictate quality.just cause somthing is expensive, doesn't make it good.
But you should keep in mind that it makes it more plausible for it to be good. Better materials and better work typically cost more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingZero

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-22, 17:09

I just bought my first package of Dragon Shield. I can't believe they come in sets of 100 Sleeves... now want to put them on...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-22, 23:51

Mini? Were they cut properly?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingZero

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-22, 23:58

mhmm, they look find to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowbane

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-01-24, 00:48

Donkay wrote:
I use those really expensive Bushiroad CFVG sleeves for my main deck. They seem to hold up pretty well...

I use those with their official outer layer, which protects the nice art on the sleeves. XD

Works out pretty well for me since I'm mostly used to handling standard sized decks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edalborez

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-04, 20:00

Just sort of an opinion check:

For the moment I'm stuck with UltraPro sleeves. The one set of mini sleeves I have (more than 50, less than 100, 5+ years old) have faded backs here and there. Nothing even close to looking like I'm marking cards in casual play, but assuming I might get questionable looks in anything higher. The sleeves themselves handle fine and I've never had issues with splitting.

What I do have are a truckload of larger UP sleeves (comes with the house being MTG-focused for years). Of course the problem with these for Vanguard is that they're fat. Since I only have enough minis for one deck (at the immediate moment), I'm kind of stuck with these for extra decks and safekeeping rares at the moment.

Basically, are big UP sleeves better than nothing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingZero

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-04, 20:24

Well yeah, anythings better then nothing basically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-04, 20:52

Ultra Pro are prohibited for tournament play anyway. Bushiroad doesn't allow emblems or markers on the front of a sleeve.

But always buy new sleeves for tournament play. A good way around that is having a set of good sleeves you only use on tournament days and you de-sleeve your deck when you get home.

Having been a judge for many games in the past, I can already tell you that faded backs are prohibited and the reason people recommend new sleeves for tournaments is because players often rationalize their sleeves to seem better to themselves when a judge would see a problem.

Also even if you have extra UPs that are the same color, make sure they're cut the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edalborez

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-04, 20:57

Tournaments are still a ways off for me. Would definitely make a better investment in sleeves for that purpose (though knowing these ones are no good anyways is a reassurance). Mostly was just concerned about the card protection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingZero

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-04, 22:07

Alice wrote:
Ultra Pro are prohibited for tournament play anyway. Bushiroad doesn't allow emblems or markers on the front of a sleeve.

But always buy new sleeves for tournament play. A good way around that is having a set of good sleeves you only use on tournament days and you de-sleeve your deck when you get home.

Having been a judge for many games in the past, I can already tell you that faded backs are prohibited and the reason people recommend new sleeves for tournaments is because players often rationalize their sleeves to seem better to themselves when a judge would see a problem.

Also even if you have extra UPs that are the same color, make sure they're cut the same.



So much this. I also got DQ'd from a tournament because one of my sleeves ripped during a game. I always bring extras with me but still, would not have been pleased. Especially because that particular tournament was about 9 hours away from me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwinPsionic

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 00:30

So are solid color sleeves okay for tournaments?
I remember hearing once that only bushiroad ones were allowed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 01:19

That's incorrect. The only expressly forbidden sleeves are ones with any obscuring on the front. Ultra Pro is the only sleeve company I've ever SEEN that puts shit on the front of its sleeves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowbane

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 04:31

TwinPsionic wrote:
So are solid color sleeves okay for tournaments?
I remember hearing once that only bushiroad ones were allowed.
Well, the detailed rules is that the back of the sleeve must be opaque, so you should be able to see the card at all through the back. And as Alice mentioned, you shouldn't have any markings on the card sleeve, which only applies to Ultra Pro.
Also, if you're using a 2nd layer, the 2nd layer has to be clear, just like Bushiroad's official 2nd layer *hint*hint*. I'm don't think they allow any designs to be on the outer layer as well, but I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 16:56

More specifically the backs have to be opaque enough that you can't read the word Vanguard on the back of the card.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Featherine

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 18:20

My friend had KMCs for his Novas, but he had dropped one of the cards and had not noticed them for about 10 minutes. Later on when he picked them up, they were all scratched upped and stuff, rather unfortunate.

I also bought my first pack of Dragon Shields, I wonder how they'll feel. I've heard great about them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The King of Hearts

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 19:18

Featherine wrote:
My friend had KMCs for his Novas, but he had dropped one of the cards and had not noticed them for about 10 minutes. Later on when he picked them up, they were all scratched upped and stuff, rather unfortunate.

I also bought my first pack of Dragon Shields, I wonder how they'll feel. I've heard great about them.

Dragon Shields are real nice. Especially the clear ones. I notice that KMC tear real easily
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jman5x

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 22:41

I don't use any special sleeves. Just plain clear Ultra Pro's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Some Gamer Dude

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 22:50

Alice wrote:
More specifically the backs have to be opaque enough that you can't read the word Vanguard on the back of the card.

Newer Ultra Pro sleeves aren't opaque though, I can see Vanguard fairly clearly through my White sleeves and my newer, Vanguard modified, Red sleeves from Ultra Pro.

Alice wrote:
That's incorrect. The only expressly forbidden sleeves are ones with any obscuring on the front. Ultra Pro is the only sleeve company I've ever SEEN that puts shit on the front of its sleeves.

How about Ultra Pro's Clear turned backwards? The circle is on the back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-07, 23:18

Some Gamer Dude wrote:
Alice wrote:
More specifically the backs have to be opaque enough that you can't read the word Vanguard on the back of the card.

Newer Ultra Pro sleeves aren't opaque though, I can see Vanguard fairly clearly through my White sleeves and my newer, Vanguard modified, Red sleeves from Ultra Pro.

Alice wrote:
That's incorrect. The only expressly forbidden sleeves are ones with any obscuring on the front. Ultra Pro is the only sleeve company I've ever SEEN that puts shit on the front of its sleeves.

How about Ultra Pro's Clear turned backwards? The circle is on the back.
Yeah UP's quality has diminished and their stock is getting thinner.

No obviously you cannot use any type of clears, whether they're front or back. Because you can read Vanguard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Omnigeek

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   2013-02-08, 01:08

So, is the illegality of the back to ensure that there aren't any clear markings to read when playing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs   

Back to top Go down
 
Sleeves: the Unsung Heroes of TCGs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi :: Newbie Lounge-
Jump to: