HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Redbeastmage

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-25, 10:36

I didn't hesitate to drop $250 to build the end for the stand up challenge. Without competitions to play in outside weekly store tournaments, I probably wouldn't have.

I try to keep myself budgeted to ~$75 a month, in general.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farmergiles

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-25, 10:42

The only tournaments in my area are just casual local ones that a society holds. Yes there are prizes of boosters/promo cards but nothing more than that. No official stuff either unfortunately but there's a lot of players so good variety of clans.

Despite that, I figure that the costs are a one-off. Once you've got the deck that's it unless you want to acquire the odd few cards in future sets because not all builds are worth getting. I doubt Oracle will get any better than Tsuko/CEO for example. Tachikaze I'm sticking with the raptor build (can't wait for that the raptors look so awesome, like a weird clone of Aliens) and aren't likely to go for others, and so on. The only clan I've got two decks for currently is Nova Grapplers and that's only because Stern is sick and Gold Rutile was the original deck I started with as a trial deck in our first tournament. Didn't do too badly considering others had proper decks and I had no perfect guards. Nearly beat two of the veterans and I only lost due to my bad luck with triggers vs their awesome "double trigger" luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-25, 13:14

Weird news: the blister 3-pack at WalMart here was going for $4.00 which was the price of a single pack only 6 months ago. Hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junri

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-25, 14:04

I recently full SP'd my OTT deck. It really makes me cry to see how much I splurged on this card game. It's cause I don't have restraint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AegisCrow

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-25, 14:50

I try not to spend ridiculous sums of cash on this game. I traded in three thoughtsiezes and a mutavault to my FLGS for enough store credit to buy my first box and thensome, and I've mostly been sticking to buying singles since then.

it also doesn't hurt that I go for relatively budget builds like Ildona, Enigman Rain, and Megacolony in general.

that said, I'd personally never buy an SP version of a card. I have two SP's in my deck right now, but that's only because I pulled them out of packs. I'd probably never play something expensive and trendy like Dragonic Overlord, The End or MLB.

it's a fun game for me, and i usually don't care about winning outright because I enjoy the mechanics and I like playing with and/or against builds that interest me. my local meta is pretty laid-back and generous with trades, so it's nice to not have to feel like I need to be cutthroat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klaus

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-25, 15:33

I feel I've spent enough starting up the game with my many boxes and singles purchases. Mostly try to trade for things, but my window on that is rather small. Though soon to try and sell stuff around here and elsewhere since we only care to maintain a couple decks (Spike Bros and Neo Nectar for me).

But the only time I really splurged was getting into Spike Bros right as EB03 came out and spent a ton on Emperors. It was worth it since I still play that deck to hell and back and future build ideas usually include him, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farmergiles

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-26, 05:21

I think I've more than likely overspent and then some, but then it's been spare cash and the intention has always been that SP's, unwanted RRR's and decks I get bored with will get sold. In my opinion if you were to make up 50-75% of your money back on a deck, then result really, you've had some fun and you haven't really lost out much.

Mostly though I blame my desire to have variety! I can't focus on one clan or race or whatever in games, it's impossible for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrookylnRage

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-26, 05:26

farmergiles wrote:
I think I've more than likely overspent and then some, but then it's been spare cash and the intention has always been that SP's, unwanted RRR's and decks I get bored with will get sold. In my opinion if you were to make up 50-75% of your money back on a deck, then result really, you've had some fun and you haven't really lost out much.

Mostly though I blame my desire to have variety! I can't focus on one clan or race or whatever in games, it's impossible for me!

So what do you look for in the clan? The art? The unique playstyle?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farmergiles

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-26, 06:11

In this order:

(1) Unique playstyle / variations of builds
(2) Cost of building the deck
(3) Artwork

I'm a player, not a collector so I like to have a build that's technical to play and intuitive where possible. It's why out of all my decks I think Pale Moon is becoming a favourite and if I obtain an Oracle deck in the future that will also feature highly. They require a lot of skill to play and I'm still struggling with PM's Sword Magician build (I do better with Dusk Illusionist).

Granted I do have the odd deck that isn't overly technical such as Spike Brothers Dudley Emperor and Great Nature Doping, but for those I enjoy the rush capabilities of Spike and for GN I just love being able to say "I attack with my Peeping Tom Tiger, my "Khan" Wannabee Tiger, counterblast with my Marmoset and inject all steriods into the helpless Otter or Flying Squirrel" when doing a round of attacks! :P

Cost factors to an extent but unique playstyles will win through hence Oracle for example and Pale Moon. The cost of a decent Paladin or Kagero deck despite IMHO those decks being the more overpowered (or easier to use) decks is too much for me on top of what I have now.

Artwork - well I like my cards to look good if possible. Toypugal actually gives me brain damage when I see my mate use him! Some of my decks will suffer on artwork (not a fan of GN's or Dimension Police or Spikes overly) but some such as Neo Nectar, Pale Moon and even Aqua Force despite not certain if I'll play them or not have fantastic pictures which does entice me to an extent or at least get me intrigued.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scruffy420

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-27, 04:20

I've spent a lot of money on this game recently. I'm still new so I don't have full playsets of cards I need so I order them if the local shop doesn't have them. 4 PGs ordered for my Angel Feather deck which will be my first 100% complete deck. Stern is well on its way though :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scruffy420

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-27, 06:38

And when I say 100% complete, I mean as a starting point... if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VesperGhoul

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-27, 09:49

I'm one of those people who are at their happiest when they are building decks, only reason I built Dragonic Overlord, The End was because it was a the hardest deck to build and I wanted something to tide me over until BT09 came out in English. (Oh barri, how I hate you :/)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonolithAngel

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-27, 20:19

farmergiles wrote:
In this order:

(1) Unique playstyle / variations of builds
(2) Cost of building the deck
(3) Artwork

Same here, but artwork is my priority. If it doesn't look cool, then I tend to avoid it. Yeah, Toypugal honestly gives me headaches; it's artwork feels less... well... awesome.

But honestly what really makes me want to build a deck is whether or not I "feel" the clan's motif (demons, undead, knights, or dragons, etc.) . For example, I'm not into football so I never found Spike Brothers appealing. But hey, if they made a clan based on Track and Cross Country Bushiroad can take all my money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatin

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-27, 21:03

>he doesn't like the Toypugal art style
I want an entire extra booster done like that.

At any given time, I'm willing to spend $100 or less on a deck. Of course the majority of the deck costs tend to be grabbing the PGs and boss units so I tackle those first. It really helps when the PGs are reasonably priced/cheap ($7-$15).

I really like Shadows but Mac Lir and PBD are so stupidly expensive that I just have to stay away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackwingEX

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-28, 22:24

just don't go for the money clans :p
Bought a couple of EB03's back in the day, kept an SP emperor and a RRR empror
all the other RR's and lone Duke was enough to recoup those 2 EB03 boxes :D also waited a whole month when the market is saturated by the cards I need, I was also willing to trade a soul savior I pulled ouright for an emperor before it see much less play instead of using it to smack a newb.

so that basically means I got my Emperors free... sold the whole deck while on it's peak and then rebooting the deck while waiting for the next support, for now I play Dragonic Overlord, The End :(

good thing I can manage to plus off tourneys with incomplete decks (though that was back then)

when building a deck I draw the line on spending at:

125$ for tier 1 clan (Dragonic Overlord, The End, MLB, SDD, PBO, Tsuk, Verm, AqF) -> basically involves a lot of trading and only dishing cash on PG's
75~100$ for a tier 2 deck (SB, NG, BT, PM, Ko Variants, RP Variants, Soulless OTT)
50~75$ for tier 3 (DI, MC, NN, GN, DP, GB, AF, TK, Ildona SP)

note: this is based on Republic of the Philippines prices

dunno if it's considered cheap over there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-29, 03:32

Fuck yes Spike Brothers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farmergiles

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-29, 05:11

Spike Brothers - the only reason my Great Nature is being sold off rather than them first is mainly because of how cheap the Dudley Emperor deck was to build.

Only $125 set aside for a Tsukuyomi deck? That's wishful thinking! I spent a dam sight more on my one! :P

With 2 boxes of Blue Storm Armada on the way I'm hoping that I can recover a lot of the cost with unwanted Dimension Police/Aqua Force cards (DP I'll only play if I get a lot of Zeal cards and Aqua Force despite having good artwork just seem to play........crap) as I'm mainly after Neo Nectar and Tachikaze.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackwingEX

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-30, 01:15

hm... Tsuk was quoted post- jap-restriction/post coco deck

the whole Tsuk ride chain is more or less $50 and the PG set at around 60$, and then some toms at 15$ each... Not 125$ flat but within that range

though back in the day then yeah... it's Php 17000 or in the $400 range lolz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farmergiles

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-30, 05:30

Are we talking a price tag for Japanese cards here? There is no way you're buying the ride chain for $50 or less for English cards bearing in mind the English meta doesn't have those same restrictions that the Japanese imposed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duce

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-30, 06:49

There was a full Tsuk ride chain on uk facebook trading group for £40, heck the guy evern was running an offer for full soul and cards to make full souless for £100 and he only barely sold it... i was really tempted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farmergiles

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   2013-04-30, 06:53

I'm going to have to get in on that, I'll bet that's due to the limited amount of members in that group as he's way undersold that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?   

Back to top Go down

How much are you willing to spend on your deck outright?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi :: Newbie Lounge-
Jump to: