Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
corundum

corundum

A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty
PostSubject: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-07-30, 01:01

This was a build I've been musing about for a fun deck. As a player in the English format (as I only can financially commit to one format), this deck will not be possible for me to construct for at least half a year, but hey, I can take my sweet time finding the parts. Besides, I thought this might be an interesting way to practice theoretical deck construction (if that's even a thing).

Now, I realize the build contents might have you thinking "What the nutter-butters?!", but I implore you to hear my explanations before you make any (much appreciated) suggestions.

Grade 0

-Battle Sister, Eclair (starter x1)
-Oracle Guardian, Nike (crit x1)
-Battle Sister, Ginger (crit x1)
-Psychic Bird (crit x4)
-Miracle Kid (draw x1)
-Victory Maker (draw x4)
-Dream Eater (draw x1)
-Lozenge Magus (heal x2)
-Sphere Magus (heal x2)

Grade 1

-Reckless Express (x4)
-Battle Sister, Chocolat (x4)
-Circle Magus (x2)
-Dark Cat (x2)
-Weather Girl, Milk (x2)

Grade 2

-Highspeed, Brakki (x4)
-Battle Sister, Mocha (x4)
-Promise Daughter (x2)

Grade 3

-Goddess of Fortune Flowers, Sakuya (x4)
-Imperial Daughter (x4)

As may or may not be apparent, the deck is built for Imperial Daughter's ability to go off as early as possible, with Sakuya serving as a Late Game supporter and co-boss. Brakki and Reckless Express allow me to get in a few hits (and possibly force out some guarding) while letting Imperial Daughter attack the opponent for 21k and an extra crit before Twin Drive. If done early, it seems like an advantage for me: either the opponent guards a lot way earlier than he/she would like to, or 2+ damage is inflicted with one hit.

Eclair as a starter serves multiple purposes. Her Grade 3 fishing is...not the greatest of skills, but in puts her in the soul for the Spike Bros to use as fuel. If Imperial Daughter needs to "eat" an OTT for her restraint to fall and attack with OTT rearguard support, Eclair is there to help. Finally, if Sakuya is ridden as the first Grade 3, I just got a 10k shield to guard with.

Promise Daughter seemed like an OK unit to push extra shielding from the opponent, especially considering the booster choice in this deck. Normally I dislike discarding for 5k power, but I think in a draw-nutty clan like OTTs, such a cost doesn't sting so badly.

As mentioned before, Sakuya is there as support. She can hold her own, hit crossriders with Milk behind her, and lets me rearrange my field (and reuse on-call effects).

Circle Magus is so I can choose my offensive play and for a nice booster, especially since I plan to shuffle the deck with impunity and therefore do not need Cocoa's stacking aid. Dark Cat helps with draw power. Currently I am wondering if I should just commit to one or the other.

The only real issue I see is having to ride Express and losing Eclair, with falls into the inconsistency argument against mixing clans. One thing I should make clear: this deck is built around using Imperial Daughter at some point in the game. Dropping her is not an option. Silent Toms have not been included because I don't know if he could actually work without Gemini (with is the only reason I would even consider putting the Grade 1 vanilla in as well, since only Tom seems to need it). On top of that, this is a fun build - while I'm willing to try out Tom, my cash would go towards the Perfect Guards and the deck bosses first (I have 3 Expresses already, so no worries on him). Finally, Amaterasu may serve as fuel for the Spike Bros, I think Sakuya's bouncing power serves this build better.

So, thoughts? Could a clan that's typically Late-game work with aid from an Early-game clan?
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-07-30, 06:19

Pretty ingenious. I didn't like her when I read the restraint conditions, but using the soul she charges up for spikes, which also
releases her other restraint when the field is empty, is a nice idea. This could throw a lot of people off balance. Not sure why you have Milk in there since you'd HAVE to Ride Sakuya to get rid of her, unless your plan was to just eat it with your Vanguard anyway (and at that point, why run it?)

Have you thought of relying on soul-filling so you can Luck Bird to mitigate some of the minuses she gives you? Then eat Luck Bird for another restraint.
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-07-30, 17:21

Luck Bird's effect would help - my concern is how frequently the soul fills and how much of it I use per turn, but I suppose I'll have to test the build personally to find out. Well, that, or use BYOND - hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-07-31, 03:21

Yep, Vanguard is empirical.
Back to top Go down
Wolfen
Wolfen

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-03, 14:36

I'd say this would be an awesome fun deck, but I wouldn't see it being too competitive sadly enough - and I hate saying that since seeing off-the-wall builds like this makes my day.
Back to top Go down
CFSScott

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-03, 14:37

Wolfen wrote:
I'd say this would be an awesome fun deck, but I wouldn't see it being too competitive sadly enough - and I hate saying that since seeing off-the-wall builds like this makes my day.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-05, 19:09

Wolfen wrote:

Even so, it's my goal to make this deck as close to competitive as possible. I want to see what its limitations are. Alas, I'll have to be patient.

So, besides putting Luck Bird in as opposed to Milk to mitigate hand/field loss, is there anything else that can be done/implemented? I considered switching out Promise Daughter for Oracle Guardian Red Eye , but I don't know if I really need a soul-charging ability; Imperial Daughter's cost for a restraint break and Psychic Bird could be enough for Luck Bird and the Spike Bros.
Back to top Go down
Wolfen
Wolfen

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-05, 21:34

The biggest problem I see with this deck is sadly the basis for the deck itself - Imperial Daughter. At BEST, you'll swing 3 times in a turn, with 2 Brakki's that hit for bad numbers, then a good Imperial swing which gets PG'd. 2 5k guards and a PG. Next turn, you won't be able to do it again unless you're a luck god and haven't been telling us. So you're down to, at best, 2 attacks. Which at that point... a 5k guard and 1 PG. The issue with the deck isn't that the prospect isn't good, it's that the winning image of the deck rides in a single, super attack, which is easily stopped - either by a PG or 2 10k's and a 5k (a huge demand it may seem, but without RG columns swinging for good numbers it's not such a tall order.)

Assuming you use her effect to remove restraint, then your vanguard is as good as a vanilla 11k, which in SOME decks is solid (Deadly Swordmaster being the first to come to mind after he's on the field) - But in this deck without solid support for such a feat it simply isn't as viable as you (Or I, for that matter. Again, love for the oddball deck) would like it to be.
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-05, 21:55

Actually, the idea was to use Imperial Daughter for early mid-game, the one point that you have a Grade 3 and the opponent is less inclined to guard. The way I see it, most of the cards in the opponent's hand at that point are cards they plan to use for their own winning image. If they try to block the "minor" attacks by Brakki and Express, chances are that they'd have dropped boosters or rearguard attackers that would've pressured me on their turn . Blocking Imperial Daughter at that stage (assuming no damage triggers were checked) would require Stage 3 Guarding at the least, and if they let it through, yay 2+ damage (I'd be pleased if they dropped a Perfect Guard this early as well).

I agree that Imperial Daughter makes for a rather lackluster finisher, but that is where Sakuya comes in. She serves as a co-boss so I can rearrange the field and put immense pressure on the opponent during Late-game with her 21k column (yay for 7k boosters). The idea was that Imperial Daughter would either dwindle the opponent's resources early or push the opponent into late-game early; Sakuya is supposed to be ridden when Imperial Daughter peters out, or when I need to replenish the soul.

I suppose it is more accurate to say that Sakuya is also important to this deck's winning image. Imperial Daughter is supposed to be a powerful pressure component - if the opponent lets her attack through Mid-Game, just one critical trigger would put them knee-deep into Late-game, and that's assuming they block the Spike Bro attack(s). It may be riskier than I think, I admit.
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-10, 16:29

(NOTE: I don't know the policies on double-posting, but enough time has passed and there's enough new content that I thought this stuff warranted a new entry)

...I feel like a total idiot right now.

All this talk about finding draw power, and I never considered Little Witch Lulu, a starter that acts like Luck Bird at Mid-Game's start without needing to drop a card. All my worries about draw power, and Lulu covers some of the losses from playing the Spike Bros and using their effects early in Mid-Game. On top of that, I could put her back into the soul to manually break Imperial Daughter's restraint, and if I can add another OTT or two to the soul (a la Red Eye or Luck Bird), when I ride Sakuya/CEO, can bring out Lulu again and draw one more time.

This is embarrassing - how did I miss this? Lulu's in the same ruddy booster set as Eclair, gives me draw power (possible twice), lets me pay for Imperial Daughter's restraint if need be, and boosts for an entire stage. All those wonderful things, and I only now considered her - for shame.

To my wallet's dismay, I realize CEO Amaterasu might serve this build better than Sakuya. She fills up the soul for repeated usage of Luck Bird, Brakki, and Express come Mid/Late-game, while also letting me preview the top card of my deck and influence my first drive check accordingly. This way, I can drop all copies of Circle Magus and max out Dark Cat (MOAR DRAW POWAH). My only concern is her current value - with Tsukiyomi becoming the next big thing for OTTs in the English format, Amaterasu isn't going to be easy to obtain. Man...

It just occurred to me that I do not have an outline for this build's attack plan each subgame. Welp, that changes now. So, let's assume I implement those changes I just mentioned (again, I know I'll actually need to test this deck for-realsies when the stuff is actually released, but it's my hope theory-crafting can at least indicate any glaring flaws):

(EDIT: For your convenience, this is the build used in my sub-game walkthrough, complete with revisions)
~Grade 0~
-Little Witch, Lulu (starter x1)
-Psychic Bird (crit x4)
-Miracle Kid (draw x1)
-Victory Maker (draw x4)
-Dream Eater (draw x1)
-Lozenge Magus (heal x2)
-Sphere Magus (heal x2)

~Grade 1~
-Reckless Express (x4)
-Dark Cat (x4)
-Luck Bird (x2)

~Grade 2~
-Highspeed, Brakki (x4)
-Battle Sister, Mocha (x3)
-Promise Daughter (x4)

~Grade 3~
-CEO, Amaterasu (x4)
-Imperial Daughter (x4)

Early Game

The goal at this stage is to have the proper cards to start Mid-Game: a Brakki/Express and Imperial Daughter, on top of a proper grade sequence. If I lack any of these by the time I ride to grade 2, I will try and use any draw power to get those units. In this scenario, drawing Psychic Bird isn't as saddening as it normally would be, as I can build the soul up for Lulu and Brakki/Express while drawing (though it'd be awesome if I got it via drive check). If I pull a Spike Bro early (particularly Brakki) and I have a reasonable means of protecting it, I may consider putting him down as a rearguard for early pressure. Testing will tell if this will help with the shared OTT weakness in early-game. This way, I can goad the opponent into dropping guards early, and ideally have them strapped for guarding sources mid-game.

I'd rather not ride Brakki or Express, but it's not the end of the world if I do - I just won't get Lulu out until later, and my options regarding field lineup mid-game are hindered a bit (I'll need an OTT to be eaten if I need to break Imperial Daughter's restraint early - more on that in a sec). Admittedly, such obstacles could be all it takes to destroy my momentum, but I think there's enough drawing power so this worst-case scenario for early game happens infrequently. There are only a total of 8 spike bros, after all; I don't think I will have major consistency issues in the long run.

Mid-game

The grade 3 I want to ride first is Imperial Daughter. If I rode straight OTTs, Lulu would likely come out with her effect going off for that extra card. However, if I do not have adequate soul and I can call a Spike bro or two, I may refrain from calling Lulu unless I have enough soul to spare, or a means to replenish it. If called out, Lulu will then return to the soul in order to break Imperial Daughter's restraint. This way, not only can Lulu be used again, but I now have the freedom to call OTT rearguards at my leisure on this first turn if it is advantage (yes, we're still on the first turn of mid-game - work with me here, I tend to be wordy). Also, Lulu could be soulblasted for Brakki/Express, but I'd rather not do that if I can help it. Again, Psychic Bird could help if it ends up in the soul before or on this turn.

Ideally, I'd like to enter the Battle Phase of my first mid-game turn with only a Spike Bro. or two in the rearguard circle, and they will attack before Imperial Daughter. They are there for a few reasons:
  • to pressure the opponent to guard early
  • to ensure some damage will be dealt this turn
  • to allow multi-attack pressure while allowing Imperial Daughter's ability to fire off

Imperial Daughter's skill to gain 10k power and an extra crit when she's alone is something I plan to exploit. If the opponent let's her attack through, he/she runs the risk of entering late-game very, very early (one attack for 2 damage before Twin Drive FTW). Brakki and/or Express have the ability to at least land a hit on most Vanguards unboosted, ( in Brakki's case, possibly for Stage 2 attacks). The cost of returning to the deck if their skill is used actually serves Imperial Daughter well - she'll be alone when it's her turn to attack, so her "CONT" skill will break her restraint and make her attack quite threatening.

In most cases, Brakki and Express' attacks can be blocked with a 5k shield if the opponent wills it. That's actually the point of this line-up: I want to force the opponent to drop cards early. Even if it's a pittance to guard, he/she has to block eack rearguard attack with at least one card. In most cases, the opponent's hand this early in the game likely consists of cards they want to play, rather than guard fodder and triggers. If they guard the Spike bro attacks, unless they have draw triggers in-hand, they will either overguard or block with cards that would've been pressuring me with. If he/she lets the rearguard attacks through, then yay for me, extra damage dealt. Imperial Daughter would require at least 15k shield to guard, and with Twin Drive and an extra crit I'm willing to bet if the opponent guards he/she will drop more than that. Sure you could argue that Imperial Daughter would only require 2 cards to block, but that's assuming the opponent even has a Perfect Guard and/or at least one card in their hand with 10k shield value. Even if he/she possesses such guarding capability at this point, the fact that they'd be dropping them very early in the game means those resources will not be availible when the attacks get stronger and nastier (and when I now the first check via CEO). Either the opponent loses valuable resources from what is at this point a relatively small hand, or he/she risks getting shoved into late-game so early he/she has to guard every single attack. Not a great situation to be in.

Of course, there will be many games where I will have to strike with OTT rearguards my first turn of mid-game, losing Imperial Daughter's pressure power. That's fine, as the idea is that after my first mid-game turn I need to switch to Amaterasu ASAP. It may take a turn of two, facilitating a maintenance cost to keep Imperial Daughter's restraint broken. Doing so sets up some ample soul for Lulu, Luck Bird, and the bros, while allowing me to clean my hand and make use of "dead" cards (read: extra Imperial Daughters). There should be enough draw power in the deck to get Amaterasu in the hand if I don't have her already - however, since it's likely to take a turn or two, I'm probably gonna take a few hits. Therefore, I'm considering Amaterasu's ride the entry into late-game

Late-game

At this point, Amaterasu should be out and hitting for 21k regularly (thanks to draw power and a plethora of 7k boosters). Knowing what I'll drive check first gives me some extra knowledge on what I can place down, as well as whether or not using a draw skill would be prudent. With Promise Daughter and Brakki, I can guarantee myself a 21k column (with maintenance cost), so I'm reasonably certain I can put pressure on the opponent. The one thing to watch out for would be hand size - I need to have enough to guard myself as well.

Conclusion

I'm aware I could lose lot of momentum if CEO is my first grade 3 ride. I'll need to do testing to determine whether rideing Imperial Daughter over her is a stupid idea or not. There may be some alterations to tactics to maintain hand size, but overall I think this could work. To address the concern that Imperial Daughter is poor, poor Late-game vanguard -I agree. In this build, her influence is felt and dealt mid-game - she's supposed to see as little time as possible on the field. Imperial Daughter and CEO work together to induce insane pressure, yet still have that hand control OTTs are renowned for. the Spike Bros are invaluable to facilitate early pressure, and frankly if Reckless Express hadn't been released I'm not so sure this deck would work consistently. If there is enough draw power without triggers, I might switch out some Draws for Criticals to improve pressuring capability and guarding power (especially since Psychic Bird will make his way into the soul more often than not. There is a concern of having enough soul by mid-game - I know Oracle Guardian, Red Eye helps with this, but to get him early means running a lot of him, and losing the Grade 3s that can create 21k attack columns without triggers. I'd rather not, but if it's necessary...

It may seem ludicrous to see this deck as competitive, but that's the goal I'm setting. Even if the build doesn't reach competitive levels, I want to make it as effective as it can possible be. I hardly see strong composite decks in my local tournaments, and I want to change that.
Back to top Go down
Wolfen
Wolfen

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-10, 20:26

This still assumes either CEO or Imperial for a late game sweeper - CEO is plausible with the 4k, especially with your draw power, but I'd like to see you drop 1 or 2 Imperial Daughter due to the fact that yes - you want her to be your ride right away, but you don't want to have her later in the game. Ever. I'd say only dropping 1.

Also - Promise Daughter. In a deck where you're wanting your card advantage, I need to ask WHY her. Two cards that (In my opinion and considering you need to hold out for Dark Cat, whenever the hell the structure deck comes out) would be Red-Eye or Battle Maiden, Tagitsuhme. Tagi gives you much better pressure while Red-Eye actually serves the deck better with soul charging, giving you resources instead of costing them. I know you're looking for hard-core rush in the deck, but with Brakki and Reckless you should be pressuring more than hard enough without such a cost.

Hell, if you want EARLY rush, Battle Sister Omelette (Whenever the hell she gets put into a set instead of promo) would be killer.
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-11, 00:06

Dropping an Imperial Daughter or two is certainly worth considering. As you said, by the tail end of the game she should be long gone - still, I feel more comfortable running 3 just to cover damage checking and odds of showing up early, while also keeping the chances of her hanging around later low enough. In fact, I was considering 3 Imperial and 3 CEO if the new Extra Booster Celestial Valkyries has a Grade 3 that can help this sort of build (crossing fingers for a Battle Sister Limit Breaker with a counterblast cost). Otherwise, CEO would remain at 4, and I'd probably put in another grade 2 to compensate. Heck, maybe I could squeeze in 2 Sakuya instead, so Lulu can become a 10k shield after she pops out of the soul.

Regarding Promise Daughter, I actually went power-nutty with wanting 21k attack columns, and rationalized that with the draw power, I could afford to discard (crazy, huh?). Looking at the build again, I think I may need more soul-filling ability to fuel the other units. As you mentioned, Red-Eye certainly would do that, and I was indeed considering putting him in. Maybe I'll try Red-Eye first, to see how I am with soul fuel.

Tagitsuhime sounds fun, but I have little means of ensuring 6+ soul at any given time, and her boost does little with the support I have. As a standalone rearguard or in front of Lulu or a Luck Bird, she'd be neat, but Mocha should already be doing that, and for this build, it seems maintaining 4+ hand is easier than keeping a big soul.

Battle Sister Omelette would be a fun early rush...if I had zero soul. I'd have to run Eclair again to make that work, but it does sound fun.

Back to top Go down
Wolfen
Wolfen

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-11, 14:45

With Reckless / Brakki, eating away your soul shouldn't be too hard... though you do want to keep Lulu in the soul... Hm. Well then, ignore the Omelette comment? >.>
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-12, 00:37

Aye.

I've been thinking, if Lulu does Luck Bird's job more reliably, do I really need to use up deck space for Luck Bird in the first place? Considering Imperial Daughter can place Lulu back into the soul to break her restraint, even as a rearguard, I would effectively get Luck Bird's effect by riding a Grade 3 OTT. The minus from riding would be mitigated by Lulu's drawing power, and the extra soul added by riding helps pay for the cost. If it is Sakuya I ride (again), not only do I get the extra draw (provided there is ample soul to do so, and there should be), but Lulu is bounced to my hand as a 10k shield. Woohoo (I love how "AUTO" abilities cannot miss timing and can fire of near-simultaneously).

By virtue of putting Lulu into the soul, Imperial Daughter could serve as a Grade 3 Brutal Jack for a turn or two. As to what happens after that, well...I read the conditions for her manual restraint break, and it said that I needed to counterblast 1 and put an OTT rearguard into soul. Now , I know the wiki translation should be taken with a grain of salt, but the way the effect is worded seems to suggest I can put Imperial Daughter herself into the soul as part of the cost. Would be hella funny, especially since I'd actually use the extra soul.
Back to top Go down
Wolfen
Wolfen

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-16, 01:48

It would end up being (essentially)

Counterblast 1
Put 1 G3 from your hand into your Soul

And nothing else. Which is pretty bad... a bad use of counterblast, even if the deck doesn't use a whole lot (Which is something worth noting. You use none in this deck outside of Imperial breaking restraint. This fact might make CEO more appealing for megablast threats or... as odd as this feels to say... give merit to running Meteo Break Wizard as an alternate G3 instead.)

It would really fit into your rush-style deck, especially if you included back in Gemini for the 8k boost, making a 21k column at the cost of a single CB. Make it just a 2 of, in place of the luck birds even. If they kill off Meteo and you don't have another, eat Gemini for restraint break. Adding in two Gemini would ALMOST warrant running Silent Tom - Which as much of a weak attack he is, his effect would bolster your rush even more, especially as a finisher.

What I would change from your most recent list...

-1 Reckless
-1 Brakki
-2 Luck Bird
-3 Mocha
-2 CEO

+4 Gemini
+3 Tom
+ 2 Meteo Break Wizard

You would, more consistently, get OTT rides instead of Spike Brothers while still keeping the immense pressure, if nothing else adding in MORE with Meteo / Gemini columns along with the classic Tom / Gemini 16k no 0 BULLSHIT columns. (I call them bullshit because... come on... Tom really is. I love him though!)

Also, I can honestly see this becoming somewhat competitive the more and more little tweaks we add in...
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-19, 02:44

Finally, some time to respond...

From what you're suggesting, Wolfen (and correct me if I'm mistaken) the deck would look like this:

~Grade 0~
-Little Witch, Lulu (starter x1)
-Psychic Bird (crit x4)
-Miracle Kid (draw x1)
-Victory Maker (draw x4)
-Dream Eater (draw x1)
-Lozenge Magus (heal x3)
-Sphere Magus (heal x1) (Noooo, only 1 per participant during the World Qualifier Free-play)

~Grade 1~
-Reckless Express (x3)
-Dark Cat (x4)
-Oracle Guardian, Gemini (x4)

~Grade 2~
-Highspeed, Brakki (x3)
-Silent Tom (x3)
-Oracle Guardian, Red-Eye (x4)

~Grade 3~
-CEO, Amaterasu (x2)
-Imperial Daughter (x4)
-Meteobreak Wizard (x2)

Oh wow, I forgot about Meteobreak Wizard. His ability to force 2-card guards when Gemini is behind him certainly makes him appealing, and my counterblasts would be put to effective use.

Silent Tom would force the opponent to drop some of their nicer stuff, true enough. I guess knowing when to call him would be the challenge for me (well, besides the OMG expensive (relatively) nature of OTT cards like him. My savings....)

I am confused by your suggestion to drop Amaterasu to only 2, though (assuming I have correctly integrated your suggestions into the build). You made a decent point that Imperial Daughter's time as a Vanguard should be as short as possible, so why would I reduce the chance of getting another Grade 3 to call? I certainly don't want to ride Meteobreak if I could help it. Is there a reason 3 Daughters and 3 Amaterasus are unacceptable? Heck, since I have to get the Trial deck, 2 CEOs and 1 Sakuya? The occasional card bouncing could be fun, and I could recycle Lulu as a guard (though I admit Sakuya doesn't seem to do much in the way of furthering this build's Winning Image beyond that).
Back to top Go down
Wolfen
Wolfen

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-20, 01:13

Honestly, I could see 3/3 Daughter/CEO as well. I was a little tired during my last reply, so I didn't remember saying it should be Daughter down to 3. But pretty much, that's how I would run it.

The only thing I don't see a use for is, oddly enough, Dark Cat - it gives you a draw, yes, but it gives them one too, which in a rush you're wanting to DEPLETE their hand... though I'd be hard-pressed to think of something better to go in its place.
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-20, 01:22

To replace Dark Cat? Ummm...Circle Magus? I can't choose where to place the card I'll check/draw, but at least I'll see it, and she's a 7k booster too. Although Circle Magus would give me more information on how I could set up Early Game (like if I rode her), and allow me a top-deck preview should I put the card seen with CEO's skill at the bottom. Besides that-hmmm....

I guess I could put Weather Forecaster, Miss Mist in - but I want something to counterblast early game.

There's Moonsault Swallow, so my Vanguard gets power early game and my field clears up. Still, 6k boosters with the current lineup are likely to create bleh power columns, although Moonsault can help deal early damage and serve as a 5k shield.

...not a whole lot, but I guess I could experiment.

Y'know, considering OTTs are all about hand control and are renowned for late-game, doing a rush variant seems almost blasphemous on reflection. I'm totally gonna build this for realsies to mess with people :)

Still, the hand control aspect remains...I think.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-20, 05:40

Oh my fucking god are you guys ever going to actually test this deck?
Back to top Go down
corundum

corundum

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-20, 05:56

Well, yeah, when I can actually scrounge together the cards or minimize the proxies as well as improve my memory. Being a broke-ass college student means deck building is a slow, SLOW process for me, even slower for a variant (non-primary ) build of a pricey clan like OTTs.

Right now I admit this is all brainstorming. There will likely be countless iterations of this, and I actually intend to test out the build as proposed in the original post. What is being discussed now is just some idea-bouncing to get a better idea of options and limitations. Heck, I fully expect half of the "strategies" I'm proposing to have unforseen issues, if you'll pardon the oxymoron. It's just...no money, especially after paying tuition and the next paycheck a month away.

I do share that eagerness to build the deck for realsies, but you do seem a bit agitated, Alice. Did I say something pretentious or offensive? I thought I made sure to avoid that stuff. Then again, I could just be oversensitive?

Perhaps treating deck building like writing an essay is the wrong approach, but I assumed the principles were similar - find a topic/mechanic, brainstorm proposals, and then test/draft, revise like hell, test again, etc. Definitely, when Set 7 comes out in a month and I get some cash for cards, I'll test the f**k out of this since TD04 and EB01 stuff would be the only proxies.
Back to top Go down
Wolfen
Wolfen

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty2012-08-20, 15:16

Well you do have time to build it, seeing as EB01 (Imperial Daughter) is still a good ways off...

But if you're really itching to have it tested Alice, I have all the means to BYOND it if I could have a test subject to play against.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.   A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help. Empty

Back to top Go down

A deck outta left field - OTT with some Spike Bro help.
Page 1 of 1