Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids

Go down 
+9
Some Gamer Dude
Klaus
Alice
TwinPsionic
3XXXDDD
TehNACHO
Edalborez
Shadowbane
Chestnut_Rice
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Chestnut_Rice

Chestnut_Rice

Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty
PostSubject: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 00:22

http://bushiroad.fm/post/en/1002/Card+Sizes.html

Look at the comments. Ah, so this is why you guys don't give a damn about power balance any more...
Back to top Go down
Shadowbane

Shadowbane

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 00:29

Wasn't that apparent from the very beginning? Even the Japanese Pokemon cards are slightly smaller then the standard size.
Back to top Go down
Edalborez

Edalborez

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 00:35

Those comments were written almost a year ago, though. I got the impression from this...

Quote :
In Japan, there have always been 2 types of sizes:

1) the larger size(92*67) - for most card games e.g. WS, VS, Chaos, MonColle, MTG, WoW, PM, Lycee, etc. Mostly moe related card games or card games for the older players.

2) the smaller size(89*62) - for most children's card games e.g. VG, YGO, etc. The best idea for any product out there is that it should be compatible with some of the stuff which the player already has. Therefore, the VG cards took on the size where past supply products from another card game could be used and the players do not have to spend so much on all new ones all over again... XD

Just an odd trend that seems to have fixed itself over 10 years ago...
YGO started was about that size and every manufacturer after that just followed suit.
Save the kids a lot of money on sleeves when they can buy more cards alternatively. Xp

...that this has less to do with straight "marketed towards kids" and more with "YGO was the last big hit, let's not make people waste money on different sleeve sizes". Or something alike.

I could just be thinking optimistically / naively, though.
Back to top Go down
Chestnut_Rice

Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 03:08

Yes, the thinking was. "Our target demographic already has YGO size sleeves and aren't willing to buy new ones, so let's make it this size. Adults won't mind buying new supplies, so that's fine. If we make the cards bigger, the kids won't buy as much product".
Back to top Go down
TehNACHO

TehNACHO

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 03:25

Just one problem with this idea: Kids don't use sleeves :\
Back to top Go down
3XXXDDD
Admin
3XXXDDD

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 06:48

What I find hilarious about this is

- They mention YGO (I don't think WotC or Konami ever mention other games outside of that one Survey) and they write it like YGO

- Table flipping three times

- Mentioning the back and forth card thing

- Some random stuff from Bushi about Space Balls & Mel Brooks parody

Hilarious.
Back to top Go down
TwinPsionic

TwinPsionic

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 12:01

They used *XD and Xp*. That is just some quality right there.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-12, 23:40

Yeah they're making shit up. Pokemon and WS are for kids too.

Also the pachi pachi sound they mention when people shuffle their hands: I fucking HATE it. When people rapidly shuffle their hands, I wish I could call Killer Queen and make them explode.
Back to top Go down
Chestnut_Rice

Chestnut_Rice

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 02:53

Yeah why does Bushi do that. It's really... unprofessional? Maybe all Japanese companies are used to doing that, since it's pretty common in Japan to be all cutesy when writing messages online?

Lol, I hold my hand and sort of run my thumb across the edges so it's more of a "pfshpfhsppfhsdde" than a "pachipachipachi".
Back to top Go down
Klaus

Klaus

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 02:57

Growing up playing many a card game it always agitated me when people would flick their cards together. Like if they're down to two cards in hand, they'd flick and rub them together.

Happy that in one of MtG's Un-Sets they made the card Stop That! Got many people with that during the silly release party for it.
Back to top Go down
Some Gamer Dude

Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 03:48

The real answer to this thread:

Does it matter? I mean, if you want an adult based ccg, you're looking at overpriced, underperforming crap like The Spoils, aka, Magic, done badly.
Back to top Go down
3XXXDDD
Admin
3XXXDDD

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 09:32

Is Spoils the game that you had to rip up your cards or something?!
Back to top Go down
haxie-kun

haxie-kun

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 13:34

Chestnut_Rice wrote:
Yeah why does Bushi do that. It's really... unprofessional? Maybe all Japanese companies are used to doing that, since it's pretty common in Japan to be all cutesy when writing messages online?

Lol, I hold my hand and sort of run my thumb across the edges so it's more of a "pfshpfhsppfhsdde" than a "pachipachipachi".

well, would you rather buy from a rude company or moe company. i await for alice to get mad at me for mentioning moeness
Back to top Go down
Some Gamer Dude

Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 21:32

3XXXDDD wrote:
Is Spoils the game that you had to rip up your cards or something?!

I don't think so, but it was partially designed by a big MTG player as a 'fixed' Magic and has 'funny' Flavour Text. It's 'fixed' in that;

* you start with 2 Mana
*have a bigger hand if going second
*can pay to draw or play mana
* you choose to play mana or draw, but not both unless you pay
*can use any card, face down, as a colourless mana
*Like Kaijudo, you just need to control the needed mana, it doesn't need to be in the mana payed
*Speed is involved in battles
*Characters attack in parties
*Any 'untapped' creature may block.

I didn't care for it because the packet spreads and cost was extremely anti-player. Mostly big, 130+, sets, 9 card packets with Magic prices, very 'mono' like Vanguard which makes packets less good, pricey singles for such an obscure game, irregular releases. It wasn't that it didn't look good or wasn't fun, it just felt like a waste of money every time you bought product.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 22:02

Chestnut_Rice wrote:

I just square up my hand and lay it on the table. I have no reason to keep dicking with it or keep looking at it.

haxie-kun wrote:
well, would you rather buy from a rude company or moe company. i await for alice to get mad at me for mentioning moeness
I'd rather buy from a competent company
Back to top Go down
Omnigeek

Omnigeek

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 22:45

Well, it could be the attempt to hit a larger base. I mean, there are quite a few people who believe that emoticons in messages of any kind are a cute and vital part of any punctuation.
Back to top Go down
Shadowbane

Shadowbane

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-13, 23:11

I like how Bushiroad does things, in general. Too bad Alice wasn't doing her thing before the initial creation of the crossride mechanic, but I guess either way would have been too late.

Going off-topic a bit, has anyone else noticed that Bushiroad has stopped their English COTD previews both on their English blog and website? I wonder if it means anything.
Erm, nevermind. They just previewed Mistress Hurricane.
Back to top Go down
jman5x

jman5x

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-14, 16:21

I don't really mind they market it towards kids. It could mean a bigger audience, bigger playgroup, and more fun. On the other hand, kids aren't always pleasant to play with, and can be stupid. They kind of show it's more for kids in the show because more than half of the people at the shops are kids.
Back to top Go down
Shadowbane

Shadowbane

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-15, 01:32

True, but notice there aren't that many kids in the higher level tournaments (Regionals, Nationals, VF Circuit). Most of them are teenagers, and possibly a few adults too.
Back to top Go down
Tryston

Tryston

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-15, 11:13

Shadowbane wrote:
True, but notice there aren't that many kids in the higher level tournaments (Regionals, Nationals, VF Circuit). Most of them are teenagers, and possibly a few adults too.
Just like the real world.
The show does a wonderful job at depicting everything about competitive card games except for the Psyqualia, which is the anime depiction of someone stacking their decks accept much more broken.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-15, 13:07

jman5x wrote:
I don't really mind they market it towards kids. It could mean a bigger audience, bigger playgroup, and more fun. On the other hand, kids aren't always pleasant to play with, and can be stupid. They kind of show it's more for kids in the show because more than half of the people at the shops are kids.
Kids aren't challenging to play against. I find late teens and young adults to be the biggest problem group of all.
Back to top Go down
Edalborez

Edalborez

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty2013-02-15, 14:43

Tryston wrote:
Shadowbane wrote:
Just like the real world.
The show does a wonderful job at depicting everything about competitive card games except for the Psyqualia, which is the anime depiction of someone stacking their decks accept much more broken.

Except for "I don't guard for absolutely no reason!" and "my deck is magically worse than yours which has new cards!" but that's more of a season 2 and on thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids   Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids Empty

Back to top Go down

Bushiraod pretty much admits that Vanguard is marketed towards kids
Page 1 of 1