Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vanguard decryption

Go down 
+6
Traesive
Epideme
TehNACHO
ShinkenRed
Lockon Stratos
Alice
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Alice
Admin
Alice

Vanguard decryption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 08:17

Soulless is actually what Nubatama means :V
Like ...Empty Heart, Empty Soul, Dark Soul, Soul-less. It's "the place that is empty", and "soul". So it's important to know that it's talking about a place being empty. Perhaps referring to the place where the clan lives and they are the souls that are soulless. I just think it's neat and interesting.

ALSO PROTIP to Nacho and anyone making clans: I've come upon a realization. Only Dragon Empire clans have Japanese names. The rest of the clans have names from other languages, usually English.
Tachikaze - Wind Cutters (loosely)
Kagero - Heat Haze
Nubatama - Empty Souls (roughly)
Murakumo - Gathering Clouds
Narukami - Thunder Gods

These are the Japanese-named clans. So if you make a clan that isn't Dragon Empire, try not to use a Japanese name to keep within the Bushiroad aesthetic and make your cards even closer to legit.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 08:32

Tachikaze = Wind Cutters? Oookay, that's made of weird. I mean, the other usually make sense somehow, the hardest to figure(Aside from Tachikaze.) being the ninjas, but they make more sense when you start thinking about it, but what the heck do Mechanical Dinosaurs have to do with cutting the wind?

Wait, so the Dragon Empire is Japan? Uh oh, THEY'RE TAKING OVER!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Actually, that made me think of the aesthetic for a Dragon Empire clan. To go with the military state theme, it'll be their navy. GODZILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 09:04

Tachi is a type of sword but we're not given the Kanji for the word, so we can only assume what of the like 20 Tachis in Japanese they meant to say. One is "to cut off", and kaze is obviously wind. The wiki has a completely incorrect translation that is just nonsensical. Anyway yeah, "To cut off" "wind" and the best I could do is "Cutting Wind" but that's not a clan name. So Wind Cutters.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 09:11

Well, yeah, I knew what a tachi was, being a bit of a martial history nut, I was more wondering how the well do you end up giving that name to a pack of psycho dinos. The others make sense, that does not. Frankly, they should of been given a different name, something that made sense for them. When I hear Wind Cutter, I think like some sort of flying ace or perhaps a swordsmen with wind powers. What I don't think of is giant rampaging dinosaurs.
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 09:17

Alice wrote:
Tachi is a type of sword but we're not given the Kanji for the word, so we can only assume what of the like 20 Tachis in Japanese they meant to say. One is "to cut off", and kaze is obviously wind. The wiki has a completely incorrect translation that is just nonsensical. Anyway yeah, "To cut off" "wind" and the best I could do is "Cutting Wind" but that's not a clan name. So Wind Cutters.
Just want to note that simpified chinese translation of Tachikaze is " 太刀风". Will get into research if time allows me.
Edit : Okay the kanji is "太刀風", spelled same as the traditional chinese translation.
Back to top Go down
TehNACHO

TehNACHO

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 09:26

Google Translate says Wind Sword(Cutter).
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 14:32

ShinkenRed wrote:
Alice wrote:
Just want to note that simpified chinese translation of Tachikaze is " 太刀风". Will get into research if time allows me.
Edit : Okay the kanji is "太刀風", spelled same as the traditional chinese translation.
No, that's just the problem. You can't ascribe any Kanji to it since the word Tachikaze never appears outside of kana. Canon spelling is only タチカゼ。

So you have to do a bit of induction to determine what they meant. The best I could come up with was to cut off and wind. But thanks for the trivia about the Kanji of that being the same as Chinese
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 16:50

Um, hate to sound like a broken record, but does ANYONE have any idea WHY they're called Tachikaze? All of the other names fit their clans, but this one just completely throws me. Come on, throw me a bone.
Back to top Go down
Epideme

Epideme

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 19:50

All the Dragon Empire clans have names based off weather don't they?
Back to top Go down
Traesive

Traesive

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 19:56

As far as I know (not good at Japanese but I try D:), Kagero is heat wave, Murakumo is something that involves clouds and Narukami is thunder storm. It seems like a common theme.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 20:08

Well, aside from the Nubatama, which translates to empty soul(place?), that does seem to be the case, but, yet again, I STILL want to know what the hell does Tachikaze have to do with the wind?

Also, as this idea is now percolating in my brain, anyone know what the Japanese call hurricanes? I'm getting a Dragon Empire clan idea. I've got the aesthetic down, have thoughts on the name and no idea how the hell they'll play, but I'll figure that out when I get there.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 20:18

Traesive wrote:
As far as I know (not good at Japanese but I try D:), Kagero is heat wave, Murakumo is something that involves clouds and Narukami is thunder storm. It seems like a common theme.
Thunder Gods*
It's actually a pun.

@Lockon. Taifuu. We made it into our loanword Typhoon
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 21:11

This is my assumption. The etymology of Tachikaze seems to have to do with the war term kamikaze (神風), which were suicide attacks made by specially assigned Japanese soldiers during WWII. Hence kamikaze gives off a primitive feeling which dinosaurs and barbarians appear to be, and the theme of sacrificing your own units for your own purposes. The kami (神) is then replaced by the term tachi (太刀), which is a primitive form of katana to further emphasize the theme of primitiveness.

Looks like I may have solved the mystery by taking a wrong train to school by accident today and happened to come across the term 'kamikaze'...
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 21:27

Wow, either Bushiroad put a crapton of thought into that, or your just REALLY good at making odd connections, that, while unexpected, make a good deal of sense. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and you're still not getting paid.
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 21:31

Lockon Stratos wrote:
Wow, either Bushiroad put a crapton of thought into that, or your just REALLY good at making odd connections, that, while unexpected, make a good deal of sense. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and you're still not getting paid.

IKR. o>.<o
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 21:32

The tachi was anything but primitive. It was a far better warsword than the katana ever was. If you know anything about spathology, you know the katana is a peace-time sword which was not created for any particular job in war. Previous to the katana, longswords were far more curved for cavalry, to allow the mounted fighters to cut through the opponents without getting the blade stuck. And straightswords were the primary choice of infantry (a trait they copied from China no less). The katana is neither of those things. It's more art than weapon. The tachi is a much more effective weapon because it actually has a job it can do (mounted warfare).

Aside from that problem, I just don't think it fits. I mean, the Godwind suicide bombers only share one word in common with the Tachikaze. I think that if you had to sacrifice them such as the godwinds, they'd stay dead instead of reviving. More like Shadow Paladins actually.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 21:40

Darn it Alice, what have I told you about poking my happy thoughts with your logic?! Now I'm back to square one... wait, Alice, YOU might know that, but how many people actually care about stuff like spathology? Answer, not too many, so while YOU know better, Joe Schmoe and co. probably don't. So I guess it could still work, just chalk one up to creator stupid.

Unless you have a better theory(Which, if you do, I'd really would love to hear.:D), that's the one I'll satisfy myself with for now, otherwise I'm going to go nuts from thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 22:13

You know mine. It's Cutting Wind dammit.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 22:23

I mean, WHY?!?! I know WHAT it means, but WHY do they have that name, even though they don't really have anything to do with cutting OR wind, so the name just feels like a REALLY odd choice.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 22:34

Maybe it really means like Inner Wombat Tumor. I dunno
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-03, 22:36

Inner Wombat Tumor? Wha'?
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-06, 01:32

Hey, I think I might of picked up a lead on Tachikaze's name. I think we're mistranslating tachi somehow, specifically getting stuck on the sword and cutter aspects. Tell me, does the word tachi have anything to do with unrelenting? I was just watching a subbed AMV and I saw a line, fukutsu no ryuu tachi, which translated, according to them, as "The unyielding dragons." Now, I don't know much about Japanese, just a few words here and there, but I know ryuu and no's meanings, so someone clue me in if I've made a mistake, but if I'm right, I think I just hit on the reasoning for the name. Unyielding wind, unless kaze has another meaning I'm unaware of, which it probably does if my previous run ins with Japanese are anything to go by.
Back to top Go down
Epideme

Epideme

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-06, 01:57

Tachi as a suffix means plural. So "Ryu" is dragon and "Ryu-tachi" is dragons.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-06, 02:14

Ah, my bad. I guess I'm just REALLY desperate for a meaning of Tachikaze that's appropiate for the clan it represents. They crush, not cut, and, aside from the handful of pterasaur units, they have very little to do with the wind. Heck, I'd make a thread for figuring weird crap like this out, except there doesn't seem to be an appropiate section, for stuff like world figuring... uh, put simply, trying to figure out the backstory for the units. Like the theory that Llew is a young Blaster Blade(Pretty much debunked with the GP Llew retool.) or my own theory that the guy on Alfred Early's card isn't the Blaster Blade we know, but rather Blaster Dark (Look at the sword he's carrying. The hilt is all wrong for it to be the Blaster Blade.) and other such things.

Why can't I make posts that are easily categorizable? Hoy.
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty2013-01-06, 04:19

These are the meanings of tachi (たち) I've known so far:
1. Curved sword? (太刀)
2. [Suffix] Put things and people as plural(達)
3. Stand up (立ち)
And there's more yet! I've seen other kanjis for tachi in my Japanese keyboard suggestions but I think the tachi in the context should be the first one in my list as the agreed Chinese translation of Tachikaze is 太刀风. I doubt kaze (風) has a second meaning other than wind itself.
Yeah Alice we should move these posts to another thread for theories on the universe of Vanguard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption Empty

Back to top Go down

Vanguard decryption
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next