Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vanguard decryption

Go down 
+6
Traesive
Epideme
TehNACHO
ShinkenRed
Lockon Stratos
Alice
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Alice
Admin
Alice

Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 11:57

Yeah its definitely not plurality. It has to end the word.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 12:13

Oh goody, a pointless rambling thread to unleash my lunacy in. Yeeeesss... okay, villain mode off.

Okay, as I was the nut who suggested this in the first place, I guess it's my job to get the conversation started, by giving some prompts for people to work off of, such as

1. The meaning of some of the odder clan names, okay, really just Tachikaze, but you get the idea.

2. Who are the Royal Paladin's Arthurian counterparts? Easy one this, but hey, need a warmup.

3. What's an art inconsistency and what's a backstory hint(Like the Alfred Early example I pointed out. Off model sword, or hint at the Blasters' past?)
Back to top Go down
Omnigeek

Omnigeek

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 13:35

Well, this is a swing, and probably a miss, but what if the literal translation was actually intended for Tachikazi to mean "The Sword of the Wind." This actually could fit, since we know that the Tachi was a sword, and the clan's intended formation itself is (and I'm about to get poetic here) ever-flowing, and gentle. It is never fixed to one position as it gracefully moves from the hand, to the field, to the Drop Zone, and back to the hand on occasion, moving with the wind itself.
Back to top Go down
Dragon∞Blade

Dragon∞Blade

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 14:39

Arthurian counterparts eh? A lot of them kept their names the same actually.

Alfred-(King Arthur) // Gancelot - Lancelot // Gallatin - Gawain (his sword was named Gallatine)

Units that share names with knights of the round table:

Palamedes, Galahad, Bors, Kay, Bedivere, Lamorak, Tristan, Lohengrin (whoops, he's actually not a knight of the round table), Dinas (if it's Dinadan), Caradoc, Marhaus, Griflet, Agravain, Badgemagus, Gareth (and Beaumains as well; that was Gareth's nickname), Lucan, Pellinore, and Sagramore.

Other characters in Arthurian legends:

Elaine (there's like 5 of them though...), Iseult (there's like 3 of her, though I assume she's named after Iseult the Fair or Iseult of the White Hands rather than Queen Iseult), Morgana (maybe Morgause or Morgan Le Fay), Lien (the Lady of the Lake; interestingly enough, she's often named as Viviane or Nimue but never Lien), Pendragon (Uther Pendragon, Arthur's father), Dindrane (daughter of King Pellinore), Mark, and Vortimer.

Oh, and someone correct me if I'm incorrect on any of this. I'm not that familar with Matter of Britain / Matter of France

Now, I can't pinpoint where Garmore came from. It sounds Arthurian, but something tells me it's NORSE.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 15:01

Dragon∞Blade wrote:
Arthurian counterparts eh? A lot of them kept their names the same actually.

Alfred-(King Arthur) // Gancelot - Lancelot // Gallatin - Gawain (his sword was named Gallatine)

Units that share names with knights of the round table:

Palamedes, Galahad, Bors, Kay, Bedivere, Lamorak, Tristan, Lohengrin (whoops, he's actually not a knight of the round table), Dinas (if it's Dinadan), Caradoc, Marhaus, Griflet, Agravain, Badgemagus, Gareth (and Beaumains as well; that was Gareth's nickname), Lucan, Pellinore, and Sagramore.

Other characters in Arthurian legends:

Elaine (there's like 5 of them though...), Iseult (there's like 3 of her, though I assume she's named after Iseult the Fair or Iseult of the White Hands rather than Queen Iseult), Morgana (maybe Morgause or Morgan Le Fay), Lien (the Lady of the Lake; interestingly enough, she's often named as Viviane or Nimue but never Lien), Pendragon (Uther Pendragon, Arthur's father), Dindrane (daughter of King Pellinore), Mark, and Vortimer.

Oh, and someone correct me if I'm incorrect on any of this. I'm not that familar with Matter of Britain / Matter of France

Now, I can't pinpoint where Garmore came from. It sounds Arthurian, but something tells me it's NORSE.
Yeah we've actually had a ton of threads about RP counterparts before. I've gone over most of them in detail I believe. Even giving possibilities for who Blaster Blade could be. Top suggestions are:
-Gawain (Had the Excalibur and his sword Gallatin. Isn't anywhere to be found as an RP or GP card)
-Original Character Do Not Steal
Of everything, these two are the most likely it seems. Blaster Dark is probably either Mordred (enemy of Gawain) or Fergus Mac Roich (I've gone over that one in detail) Original: The Character - Darkness Edition; or possibly Javelin and Dark are both Cu Chulainn, just different versions (one with Gae Bulg, one with Caladbolg, both of which were used by Cu Chulainn and the latter of which also by Fergus)

Morgana Le Fey is definitely Morgana the RP card. It seems even the Irish villains from Arthurian legend were all in RP or GP regardless of alignment in the story (see: Launcelot). Thus why I think Shadows can ONLY be Ulster Cycle and cannot be from the Mabinogion.

Also I figured out that Garmore is Garmr, from Norse legend. Because we had Yggdrasil Maiden Elaine which was both the Lady of the Lake (Elaine, Lien; YES LIEN, Nimue, and Viviane were her names) and references the Norse World Tree. So there's precedent for Norse there. Garmr was the dog that guarded the gates of Helheim, and Garmore (Frenchification/Anglicized) has doggies and dons doggie gear.

Lohengrin is of course the Swan Knight from Germanic legend. Not all of RP and GP are from the Mabinogion or later Matter of Britain/France works, but so far, none of Shadows are outside of the Ulster Cycle.

Another example of an RP unit from Irish parts but isn't an SP, is Marhaus. Correctly, his name is Marholt, but the Anglicized version of Marhaus which is on RP. All of RP's names are Anglicized, which proves that each one of them shows that character from the perspective of Arthurian mythology, rather than wherever it originates.

I am also of the opinion that Pendragon is Uther Pendragon. My reasoning is that Arthur never identified as a true Pendragon during the course of the mythology. He was only referred to as Pendragon by those who hated/loved his father such as Lady Morgana. There existed the possibility that Pendragon could be the supposed post-Avalon-healing-resurrection version of Arthur, but he never wanted to be known by his father's works or reputation, which that name would carry. Pendragon's skill also lends credence to this hypothesis because his skill in LATE GAME, specifically searches another Grade 3 RP to replace him. Like succeeding Uther when he died.

King of Knights Alfred is always just accepted to be Arthur, which I do agree with. But his name most likely comes from Alfred the Great, so it's important to note that I don't think they're pulling a Gancelot here with his name. I think the character is equal parts Arthur and Alfred. The reason probably being is that using Arthur is basically the same as using the most popular mary sue jesus ever.

One last contender: Origin Mage Ildona was very difficult to figure out but I finally pinned that bastard. Ignore his name completely, because it's misleading. It's the flavor text about no one escaping his "long arms" that clues you in. In Irish Mythology, the god Lugh was nick named long arms due to his reach with a spear. It was even he who created the Gae Bulg and gave it to Cu Chulainn, who we believe Blaster Javelin to be.

Omnigeek wrote:
Well, this is a swing, and probably a miss, but what if the literal translation was actually intended for Tachikazi to mean "The Sword of the Wind." This actually could fit, since we know that the Tachi was a sword, and the clan's intended formation itself is (and I'm about to get poetic here) ever-flowing, and gentle. It is never fixed to one position as it gracefully moves from the hand, to the field, to the Drop Zone, and back to the hand on occasion, moving with the wind itself.
The Japanese connotation of wind isn't gentle. That's a mostly Western view of the wind. In the Orient, most cultures viewed the wind as violent or malevolent. Remember: They have a mythology about weasel gods hiding in the wind that slice you up with sickles. We don't :P
Back to top Go down
Dragon∞Blade

Dragon∞Blade

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 15:16

>Also I figured out that Garmore is Garmr, from Norse legend. Because we had Yggdrasil Maiden Elaine which was both the Lady of the Lake (Elaine, Lien; YES LIEN, Nimue, and Viviane were her names) and references the Norse World Tree. So there's precedent for Norse there. Garmr was the dog that guarded the gates of Helheim, and Garmore (Frenchification/Anglicized) has doggies and dons doggie gear.

THAT'S WHAT HE WAS! Yeah, that wolf armor makes sense now (and all his doggies in RP). Oh wow, ANOTHER Elaine.

......the hell is Ezel supposed to be? (and where's Percival in all this? Like you pointed out, Gawain and Mordred are suspiciously missing too.)
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 15:29

Okay so funfact, Ezel in German and Dutch means Ass. So his name is

Incandescent Blond Ass. My friend John and I were lolling so hard when we saw him get revealed ages ago. We were like "So they want us to put blond asses in our deck? PFFFHAHAHAHAH". I haven't yet determined who Ezel is though, except that he's possibly the wild GP variant of Palamedes which GP have a lot of. It's just not as obvious (both are described as explosive flame swordsmen, both use similar armor, both have "horns", both use bulky dao-like scimitars). It could be totally wrong, but that's as far as I've gotten with Ezel.

Percival's absence was immediately noticeable for me. I wanted to get the original 12 Knights of the Round Table cards and make a clock face with them at one point. And certain members being absent were not lost on me. With Royals basically getting no more new units and Golds not getting new Mabinogion units (only reused RPs and originals), I doubt Percival will show up. So either they forgot him, jumped off that wagon before they could make him, or he's a contender for Blaster Blade. If Blaster Blade is OC or Percival though, that still makes me wonder where the FUCK Gawaine is. He's just as important as Arthur. He's basically Arthur 2.0. But in order to find Percival I've been looking for anything that seems similar to Gwrgi and Peredur. Since those are his origins in Welsh (they're brothers).

Any case, what we really need to do is sit down with every single RP and make a list of known/possible aliases and see where we stand on who is taken up and who is unknown.
Back to top Go down
Dragon∞Blade

Dragon∞Blade

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 16:19

NO NO NO NO ROYALS ARE DEFINITELY GONNA GET NEW UNITS IN THE FUTURE NOT JUST GOLDS EVEN DUAL CLAN WOULD BE FINE OMG DON'T SAY THESE THINGS PPLE!!!

uh anyways...hmm, yeah. I notice the similarity to Palamedes now (except Palamedes is much cooler, and Ezel is...well...an ass).

You know, someone suggested Lop Ear Shooter for Percival.

It KINDA makes sense, if you like to imagine the bunnies as a nice big family, since you know, Pellinore and Dindrane are there already.

Could it be that the most well known characters have the derivative names? Like Arthur/Alfred (well, that was kinda based off Alfred the Great but nonetheless) and Lancelot/Gancelot?
Back to top Go down
Omnigeek

Omnigeek

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 17:26

Alice wrote:
Okay so funfact, Ezel in German and Dutch means Ass. So his name is

Incandescent Blond Ass.

I actually think it's technically "Incandescent, Blond Lion Ass."
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-06, 18:52

Fuck it, I'll do that now. (Only doing humans)

Llew - Llew Llaw Gyffes (misspelling), who was a hero in the Mabinogion. His tale is derived from the Proto-Celtic base of him, Lugh, the god (who is Origin Mage Ildona). He's part of the massive plot with the cauldron of Arianrhod and tragedy of Blodeuwedd. Llew is essentially immortal until betrayed by someone who he told the way he can die.

Govannon - Gofannon, Welsh version of an ancient Celtic god. He was also a smithy in the Mabinogion story of Culhwch and Olwen.

Yggdrasil Elaine - Lady of the Lake and bizarre tangential reference to the Norse World Tree.

Iseult - Two possible characters. Queen Iseult of Ireland who tried to stop Tristan and Princess Iseult (second candidate) from marrying. Most likely this is the princess as Tristan is also in RP. Wife of Mark of Cornwall, adulteress with Tristan. Hence where the word "tryst" comes from in reference to secretive love affairs.

Kay - Knight of the Round and foster brother of Arthur. Becomes his seneschal, which is like a personal Sheriff to the king.

Galahad - Knight of the Round, son of Launcelot Du Lac, and "chaste knight" who could be seated in the Siege de Perilous at the Round Table without suffering death. Grail Hero like Percival. (Coincidentally, Percival is also a Siege de Perilous member). His ride chain represents his Grail Quest tribulation. A lot of later works in Arthurian lore were butchered by Christians to have a religious appeal.

Morgana - Lady Morgana, the ex-ward of King Uther Pendragon and eventually enemy of Camelot and attempted regicide of Arthur, her brother-in-law. Attempted to steal the throne of Camelot many times with her sorceress sister Morgause. Lead the druids who were once peaceful, into all out magic war. Turned Mordred against Arthur.

Knight Squire Alan - Not 100%, but either OC in reference to Blaster Blade OR quite possibly Sir Balan de Savage. He can't be Sir Balin (his brother) since Balin de Savage had two swords. In the Morte d'Arthur, Merlin prophecies a curse will befall any who draw the sword. This sword starts a gigantic prequel story eventually leading to the Galahad grail quest and the Sword in the Stone. Balin and Balan try to score the same girl, do, and Balan eventually fights some cursed knight in a castle. Then is trapped there as the new lord of the castle. His brother Blain comes upon it and the two are tricked by a third party into battling (one to get in, one to keep the other out). Both had switched armaments prior and in a fit of dramatic irony, neither brother knew they were slaying each other. They both die and Merlin buries the legendary sword of Balan/Alan with them. The original story is inspired by the Claiomh Solais of Celtic lore. Eventually, this is the sword that Arthur pulls from the stone to secure himself as the King of Camelot; it's name is Clarent. Depending on which version you read, after Merlin strikes the sword Clarent into the stone (burying it with the bodies of the brothers), either Arthur pulls it or Galahad, son of Lancelot pulls it during his Grail Quest. Either way, once Galahad dies, Clarent passes to his father Lancelot, who passes it to Gawaine. Because Arthurian legends are all mucked up due to many storytellers, by this point the sword is called Gallatin. So Alan's sword is very likely Carent or proto-Gallantine.

Lake Maiden, Lien - Obviously the Lady of the lake again, this time her Lien name. Welsh.

Soul Guiding Elf - Back to the story of Sir Balin and Balan. The legendary sword that Balin draws was drawn from an elf of Avalon, and only those of pure soul could draw it. Most likely, this denizen of Avalon is Soul Guiding Elf (due to art, name, flavor). She also calls it the Holy Blade which is what the sword originally was called. Due to Arthurian lore being retold many times, this sword can be Claiomh Solais, Gallantine (late), Clarent (sword in the stone), or Excalibur (holy blade forged in Avalon). All of them are really the exact same blade with multiple copies, so it's kind of hard to determine which one is which at what time and in what lore.

Beast Knight and Fang of Light Garmore - In reference to Garmr of Norse mythology, the hound that guards the gates of Helheim.

Blaster Blade - Most likely OC.

Kuraudia - I know I said humans only but this one was named after Claudin, a Knight of the Round Table and the virtuous son of an evil king.

Lamorak - Knight of the Round, son of Pellinore, brother of Dindrane and Percival, and lover of Morgause (sister to Morgana)

Bedivere - Knight of the Round, one of Arthur's most trusted knights, brother to Lucan, and returner of Excalibur to the Lake Maiden.

Tristan - Knight of the Round, Nephew of King Mark of Cornwall, had an affair with his uncle's wife Iseult.

Gallatin - Holy sword of Gawaine. Which if you actually follow the lore closely, can also be exactly the same sword as Excalibur and Clarent.

Gordon - This is simply speculation, but could be Gorlois, the Duke of Cornwall. I say this because he's called the Knight of Truth, which could be ironic given that Uther Pendragon used magic to disguise himself as Gorlois, the husband of Lady Igraine, and they procreated which resulted in Arthur. Unbeknownst to either of them, Gorlois had been murdered the same night, which left Igraine forced to marry Uther to continue her normal life (thus the story of Arthur begins). I say it's ironic due to Uther's deception while disguised as Gorlois, and Gorlois' being the true version of himself. As a fun note, Anglicizing the French Gorlois would be Garland, Gorlond, or Gordon.

Palamedes - Knight of the Round, son of King Esclabor, and in love with Iseult, which makes him the social enemy of Tristan and Mark. Descended from a King of Babylon and friend of King Pellinore.

Alfred - Very obviously King Arthur, who is the only "King of Knights" described in Arthurian mythology. His name comes from the British King Alfred the Great who successfully repelled viking conquests of Britain. Alfred is, very bizarrely, like a real-life version of the mythological Alfred, minus the later religious intonation that Arthur is really Jesus Christ (Christians added this).

Alfred Early - Actually I wanted to talk about what this card really implied. Firstly, is Arthur as his younger self before the battle of Camlann. That's important because the only "early" version of Arthur is the before and after the betrayal of Sir Mordred. That's essentially how you can catalog Arthur's fall from grace and eventual repentance. Given this, it's most likely that this is before Mordred betrayed Arthur, where Mordred was Arthur's personal Squire, most trusted Knight of all time, and closest friend. Take note of how what appears to be Blaster Blade on his art has a different style of helmet and most importantly, sword. "Blaster Blade" the unit, has not yet attained the Blaster Blade sword. Either this is OC Blaster Blade just being shown at a primitive time, or it's Gawain before he gets Excalibur; but also there's the very likely possibility that this is Mordred with his own sword before he defected from the Knights of Camelot. Notice that Alfred's art after his "Early" version no longer shows this knight next to him. Mordred was once so close to Arthur, that if you did make a card of his early self, you would draw Mordred in the art too. This means that it's possible for that knight to be Mordred, failing to wield the Blaster Blade eventually, and becoming Blaster Dark. This opens up two possibilities: Blaster Dark is Mordred, not Fergus Mac Roich, and the first ever RP-SP crossover; Dark is OC but still follows this implied lore of that knight being Dark before he failed to wield the Blaster Blade. Gawaine can also be essentially said to be the "success" version of Mordred. Where Gawaine eventually replaces Mordred, after his defection, as Arthur's closest and most trusted knight. He also inherits the Excalibur. I believe Alfred Early ties together the possibility of Blaster Blade being Gawaine, THE Blaster Blade being the holy sword Excalibur which can only be wielded by those pure of heart, and that Blaster Dark is the druid boy Mordred, who harbored ill will at Arthur after his lover was executed for treason. In either case of it being OC or mythological, I believe Alfred uses the blasterblade as a test to his most loyal knights in order to see if he is worthy of his trust. And Blaster Dark failed.

Lohengrin - Grail Knight and son of Percival. The Swan Knight of Germanic lore. Or "the knight of the forbidden name". He weds the Dutchess Elsa and warns never to ask his name; this was done as a way to save her kingdom from falling apart. At some point in the marriage, she asks the forbidden question, he tells all about his origin and then departs on the swan boat that he came in on.

Exculpate the Blaster - This is mentioned for a key reason. Rather than being a person, it's actually an event. Described in his lore is the tale that the Shadow Paladins (Irish, druids, magic users) put their trust in him and rallied to his call. At one time, they were at war. Consider the following: Arthur and the Druids were once at war. His father was culpable for the laws of Camelot that forbade sorcery under the penalty of death, which eventually lead to said war. Arthur put a stop to this war eventually by repealing the laws against magic, which is what the word "exculpate" means, it means to become non-culpable for actions. As in, becoming unlike his father Uther. This was a defining moment for Arthur and it ended with the druids rallying around him in support. This unfortunately lends credibility to the possibility that Blaster Blade is either Arthur (and Alfred is ACTUALLY Alfred the Great) or that Blaster Blade is an OC which is derived from mixed bags of various other heroes, possibly why we can't pin down exactly who he is.

Pendragon - Almost certainly Uther Pendragon. As mentioned, Arthur was never one to be identified by his father's legacy, and so would not want to be known by this name. His skill is to change out the vanguard when you're about to die. So almost very literally describes Uther's passing and leaving the kingdom to Arthur.

Soul Saver Dragon - Very possibly the dragon that was captured and contained by the house of Pendragon which laid stake to the kingdom of Camelot. When Uther died, the dragon was released and eventually became a savior for Merlin and Arthur. Especially in the first battle with Morgana le Fay. Soul Saver Dragon is also a great target for the effect of Pendragon, which is kind of neat if it's the captured dragon in the castle, since that would be very literal with the passing of Uther.

Dinas - Knight of the Round, "Dinadan". Son of Sir Brunor, the Good Knight. Involved in a lot of shenanigans such as writing mean poetry to Mark of Cornwall, being Tristan's friend in impish jests, and losing a joust to Lancelot who is wearing a dress (and then Lancelot proceeds to put Dinadan in a dress).

Bors - Could either be Bohort or Bors the Younger. Bohort was a King of Gaul, but Bors was an actual Knight of the Round, so more likely this is the younger. He marries Evaine who is sister to Elaine of Benwick (not the same as the Elf from Avalon, the lady of the lake Elaine). Grail Knight and one of extreme virtue. His vow of chastity was kept when a demon disguised as a woman threatened to commit suicide until he had sex with her. At his refusal, it jumped from the castle walls and died. The most notable story is when his brother Sir Lionel would be whipped with thorns, and Bors had to choose between saving him and a defenseless woman. He chose to save the woman, knowing that his brother stood a chance of getting free. He did, and Lionel came back with a killing vengeance. Lionel was burned by a magical pillar of fire as he tried to strike down his brother. Bors was cousin to Lancelot, and he, Lancelot, Percival, and Galahad completed the Grail Quest. His conviction in the story is quite possibly the reason for his RP name title.

Caradoc - aka Caractacus, who was a Knight of the Round int he Mabinogion. Was originally an antagonist of King Arthur as King Caradoc, but eventually became a Knight in his support. His RP lore states that he's a heavy knight who wears rock armor; which coincides with his legend about being a stout knight of great strength.

Majesty Lord Blaster - Almost certainly OC, but possibly the knight Balin of the Twin Swords, who had both the sword of holiness (Clarent/Gallatin/early Excalibur) and the sword of Determination. Which the Blaster Dark is called (though it is strictly called the sword of Resolve, they're essentially the same word). Most likely he is a mix of the two, which leads even more credence to the idea that he, blaster blade and dark, are all OCs that are mixed from various other leftover heroes.

Mighty Sage Bryon - Possibly nothing, OC, or some mage, but there exists a small possibility that he is Bruin la Noir, the black knight and Knight of the Round, who wears his murdered father's coat.

Gancelot - Launcelot du Lac (of the Lake), prominent Knight of the Round, and adulterer with the King's wife Guenevere. One of the Grail Knights and has about a thousand stories.

Marhaus - Correctly, The Titular Morholt (never explained what this is, most likely just a Lord kind of like "Darth" in Star Wars), and a Knight of the Round from Ireland; uncle to Iseult, and enemy of Tristan. He demands a tribute of King Mark of Cornwall (no one fucking likes this guy) and Tristan eventually slays him. Tristan is probably the dickiest of all the Knights due to all of the bad shit he does. I have no idea why he's called Twin Shine Swordsman as there's no indication he had two swords, especially one of light and darkness like in the flavor text. That's more akin to Knight Balin.

GOLD PALADIN CHARACTERS:
Gwydion - Welsh name from the Mabinogion, Anglicized as Gideon; Associated with the cauldron of Arianrhod and the birth of Llew.

Vortimer - Son of Vortigern, the king who assisted the anglo-saxon invasion of Briton. He usurped his father's throne to oppose his decisions briefly, before being killed and his father returning to the throne.

Elixir Sommelier - Actually I just wanted to shed some light on this. It refers partly to the official who is in charge of transportation and supplies in a kingdom, and partly to an official who tastes a King's drink before he consumes it. Eventually, this word was ported to the profession of retards who drink poison aka "wine". An Elixir is a super concentraded and ultra potent magical drink created from "Ether". Ethers were magical drinks in mythology and the herbologist recipes for them always include an alcoholic base. Hence the term "ether", and "spirits" for modern drug-users (I mean...modern drinkers). So basically this card refers to the King's taster who is also tasting magical drinks for him (though not alcoholic, those came from attempted real-life reproductions of mythological spells).

Sagramore - Knight of the Round and berserker. He is slain by Mordred at the battle of Camlann.

Hoel - King Hoel of Brittany.

Kahedin - Brother of Iseult and son of King Hoel.

Mark - King of Cornwall, and catalyst for much of Tristan's lore. Him being a perfect guard is only a reference to Iseult, his wife, being one.

Gareth - Knight of the Round, Arthur's nephew, brother of Agravain and Gaheris, and half-brother of Mordred. His nickname was Beaumans (aka Goodhands and pronounced "Bow-man") which leads me to believe that either Beaumans and Gareth are the same card twice since they're both vanillas, or Gareth was a mistranslation of Gaheris, his brother. Which would be the brother to the nicknamed Beaumans aka Gareth. Who the hell knows which is which, however.

Dindrane - Funfact: Also translated as Haliabel, or poorly translated from Japanese as Harribel (for Bleachtards). Percival's sister who was rescued from kidnapping by him.

Nimue - The lady of the Lake. yet another name for her.

Laudine - The wife of Yvaine, and Knight of the Round, and called the Lady of the Fountain. Her fountain was a basin that generated magical storms when water was poured in. She fashioned an enchanted protection ring for her husband Yvain, who eventually went insane after being nicknamed by a Lion. Hence her relation to the wildness of the Gold Paladins.

Bagdemagus - Knight of the Round, whose son was killed by Lancelot for being an evil git; and Bagdemagus spurned him for his evil ways.

Nemean Lion - An invincible golden-furred Greek lion that was eventually killed by Heracles. I have no idea what the hell this is doing in Gold Paladins.

Viviane - SAMEFAG Lady of the Lake again

Manawydan - Correctly, Manawyddan fab Llyr, who is an Old English god and appears in the Mabinogion who is related to the Celtic god of the sea, Manannan Mac Lir (Shadow Paladin perfect guard), but is most likely present as the character from the poem "What Man is the Gatekeeper" where he is a soldier of King Arthur.

Lucan - Knight of the Round, who was once the servant of King Arthur as his butler. Originally, the Butler was the "cup bearer" or the taster for a King. Eventually that word became the sommelier (in reference to the Elixir Sommelier) which was also in charge of running the logistics and supplies for the estate and kingdom. Very possible that he is also the heal trigger, in this case. The brother of Bedivere, cousin of Griflet, and is killed by Mordred at the battle of Calmann while beside the dying King Arthur and Bedivere.

Agravain - Knight of the Round, Son of King Lot (enemy of Camelot) and Morgause (sister to Morgana le Fay) who is a berserker fighter. In some legends, he is a normal knight of the round, and in later works he defects to Mordred's side and slays his own brothers and other knights such as Lamorak.

Gerard - No idea. However, if you Anglicize the name Geraint, it becomes Gerard. Geraint was a Knight of the Round, king, and warrior.

Sirius - The dog of the bowman Orion in the Odyssey. Again, no idea why a Greek random is here, except that he's a dog and the warrior on the card is a dog.

Griflet - Knight of the Round, cousin to knights Lucan and Bedivere. The original Knight who returned Excalibur to the Lake, but in Malory's fuckup, his brother Bedivere does this. He's one of the only people to live through the battle of Camlann.

Pellinore - Knight of the Round, king, and breaks the sword Clarent during a joust (sword in the stone). Though, because the lores get skewed, it's sometimes Excalibur which breaks and is reforged inside of Avalon by the breath of a dragon via Merlin. His legacy guarded the Holy Grail, and his son Percival is the one who finds it. When Pellinore doubts the powers of the grail, he is wounded and becomes the Fisher King.

Mailshion - Mistranslation of Meirchion, the father of King Mark.

END.

Okay so given this, we're still missing a ton of very important figures. Just off the top of my head, there aren't nearly enough Knights of the Round. Here's the ones I can remember:
Gawain, Gaheris (if Gareth isn't a mistranslation), Algovale, Constantine, Helyan, Erec, Ector, Cadorius, Colgrevance (all dem Cs), Dagonet the Jester, Feirefiz, Lanval, MORDRED, Safir, Tor, Owain/Ywain, Galehault, Gingalain, Bercilak, Leodegrance, for that matter Lionel, and Hector. And Malagant.

And Uther's legitimate son Eliwood/Eliwlod.

Also yes, the bunnies kind of are a family in their mirrors.
Back to top Go down
haxie-kun

haxie-kun

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-07, 01:21

i might try to do some granblue ones later on..
Back to top Go down
Some Gamer Dude

Some Gamer Dude

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 09:19

I know he isn't and wasn't always Arthurian, but for all the mages and sages, Merlin's a pretty big gap missing. I doubt its Barron for some reason.

Also Tachikaze, if meant to mean a violent wind, cutting like a sword, it may make some sense. I suspect it may need to be read a bit romantically, not literaly.
Back to top Go down
Dragon∞Blade

Dragon∞Blade

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 15:40

Well, I heard somewhere that all the Dragon Empire clans had names based on weather/other divine occurences. So I guess cutting wind does fit them, like, think of the naming theme for Battlefield Storm, Sagramore.

I could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 19:12

Some Gamer Dude wrote:
I know he isn't and wasn't always Arthurian, but for all the mages and sages, Merlin's a pretty big gap missing. I doubt its Barron for some reason.

Also Tachikaze, if meant to mean a violent wind, cutting like a sword, it may make some sense. I suspect it may need to be read a bit romantically, not literaly.
My vote in bold.

Dragon∞Blade wrote:
Well, I heard somewhere that all the Dragon Empire clans had names based on weather/other divine occurences. So I guess cutting wind does fit them, like, think of the naming theme for Battlefield Storm, Sagramore.

I could be wrong though.
I also forgot to mention this. Kagero's units "Nehalem", "Tejas", and "Conroe" all relate to the USA. Tejas is the state Texas in Spanish and Nahuatl (Aztec). Conroe is a city in Texas named after a cavalry officer. Nehalem are the people we call "Tillamook" which have a city in Oregon named after them. Also, all three of these are Intel architectures for the same reason: USA locations.
Back to top Go down
Omnigeek

Omnigeek

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 20:06

Huh. I actually figured that the Dragon Empire was Asia, not North America.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 20:09

Yeah, that's the feel I got as well. Largest Nation. Dictatorial government. Countless references to Oriental(Is that broad enough?) mythologies. Yeah, that's not North America, that's Asia.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 20:12

Aesthetic != names
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 20:25

I believe you're trying to say, "Aesthetic=/= names," correct?
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 20:42

Lockon Stratos wrote:
I believe you're trying to say, "Aesthetic=/= names," correct?
No. I wouldn't use some janked up version of an actual ASCII character for inequality, because I'm not a retard and I can search it. But I'm also a programmer, so I'm using the logical comparator "!" for NOT and "=" for equal.
Back to top Go down
Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-19, 20:46

Okay, I get it. Calm down. Not everyone knows programming, so forgive me for my ignorance.
Back to top Go down
Dragon∞Blade

Dragon∞Blade

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-01-20, 01:54

What about Kourin's new jewel knights?

Or is it too soon to ask?
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-02-18, 06:51

Hey guys I got a new lead for Tachikaze's etymology! Check out the zanpakutou part of this page:
http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Kensei_Muguruma
The kanji for the zanpakutou basically means "earth-crushing wind", which kind of describe Tachikaze as a clan.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-02-18, 10:29

ShinkenRed wrote:
Hey guys I got a new lead for Tachikaze's etymology! Check out the zanpakutou part of this page:
http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Kensei_Muguruma
The kanji for the zanpakutou basically means "earth-crushing wind", which kind of describe Tachikaze as a clan.
But there's no evidence that the kana for our Tachi is two words Ta and Chi meaning Earth Cut. Tachi are things as well. One thing this does help though is it gives a better word for "Wind Cutters" which would be Air Blade.
Back to top Go down
ShinkenRed

ShinkenRed

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-02-18, 11:11

Well every name wirh the kana or kanji Tachikaze (たちかぜ) have a possibility of becoming a clue to understand the meaning behind our Tachi.
I just figured out Tite Kubo probably played with the kanas ta(た) and chi (ち) by changing the kanjis 太刀 into 断地 for the zanpakutou.
At least 断地 fits our Tachikaze's image rather than 太刀. Dinosaurs are supposed to be '風' which crushes on land instead of the 風 which cuts like a tachi blade.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty2013-02-18, 16:35

I'm sorry but there's just not enough evidence to assume a more complex definition than the simplest. It violates Occam's Razor to assume otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanguard decryption   Vanguard decryption - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vanguard decryption
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next