Moved: http://v-mundi.com - VMundi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  V*Mundi Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SpitFire

SpitFire

My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty
PostSubject: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-28, 19:00

Hello Guys And Gals im fairly new to VG coming from yugioh mostly casual play. A friend got me into it and as a result ive pretty much quit yugioh and have no interest in playing it again.

I started out getting kagero and nurikomi trial deaks thinking I was going to most likely build kagero. (cause I like dragons lol) but after a box of BT03 and Dragon Souls + 5 packs I almost got nothing for kagero except 1 R crit trigger and conroe.

Since a pulled a CEO I did research and settled on OTT. The idea of controlling the game and the ride chain appealed to me. After mostly just buying the single cards which is crazy $$. Went to my first local 3 weeks ago and its 4 rounds best of 3 for each round. About 14 people.
I was missing 3 PGs and 4 toms. I lost the first 3 rounds mostly 0-2.

ROUND 1: Lawkeeper(a kid that looked to be about 10 was playing it and I took some friendly verbal abuse from my friends because of the loss),
Round 2: Gold paladin first time playing vs this deck and man did i get wrecked.
Round 3: Royals. I honestly was playing the deck like garbage for the first 3 rounds and several misplays as well.
Round 4: fourth round was vs spike bros and after 10 games I was starting to get it. I won 2-1 he did complain of bad hands for 2 of the games. (he placed 2nd next week) the last round was when I started to understand the decks style a bit.

I went the following week with all my cards running a fairly standard build. Went 2-2 this time could have gone 3-1 but I have a bad habit of getting over confident (IDK how cause I’m not that good lol) and I stop playing my game.

First round was vs Kagero (kind of a vortex overlord build IDK) I decked out the first game, we were both at 5 damage forever it seemed. But I won the next 2 rounds easily.

Second round was against one of the guys that works at the shop was running Royals galahad ride chain build. I won the first match and in the second I had somethings going for me but made misplays guarding and before I knew it I had 2 cards in my hand while he had at least 5-6. Soul savior dragon ended then ended the match. The 3rd was W/e with me getting bad triggers and him having field and hand advantage, plus getting off SSD once again ended my hopes.

Im going take a line to vent a bit even though it was a week ago. HOW can royals be able to have hand advantage, field advantage and a great card like SSD it seems unfair to me. The ride chains give him the hand advan(most of the time) the call to field skills gives him a full field and they still have all this utility SSD and I think it was blaster blade where he was able to counter blast to retire a rear guard!?!??!!? Sure I put my tom out there too early which left him open but WTF really?

Round 3: My next match was vs my best friend who I came with. (same guy who got me into VG) He was running an almost complete spike bros deck and had the 2 worst opening hands ever. First match he got grade stuck so did I and I had to ride CEO but I got her mega blast off and that was pretty much it. Second match He couldn’t pull a grade 1 for legit like 4 turns.

The 4th round was vs the same Lawkeeper kid Revenge time? Not so much I won the first match (I think) but of course I stopped playing my game put him to 4 damage early-ish when I could have attacked a RG to leave him at 3. Next turn he limit breaks I defend and on my turn I manage to have 1 tom on the field with 2 in my hand with maybe 3-4 cards total. I think I was at 5 damage but I said hey no need to put the second tom down I can use my intercept this turn and then I will have the free spot to put the second. Of course to my dismay he limit breaks and I lose. a big misplay to say the least. I cant remember the other game but nothing too crazy.

A problem I have is I am still not counting the cards to reach my stacks. Its hard for me to do something like that when im in a tourney nervous and trying to not misplay counting damge shields ect..

Any recommendations on how I should count? Do you count every card you put on the bottom and every card that’s been pulled from the deck to get the difference or just count the cards the come off the deck.

The thing that spurred this post was last night. Me and my friend play almost every night over Skype. Him using his now completed spike bros deck, last night I had the worst luck ive ever had and im not exaggerating.
I usually win a little more than him, but its been almost even this week. Now I ALWAYS lose the dice roll against him 90% of the time. I even make him reroll sometimes cause I lose so much and I still lose. Anyway I lost 3 games in a row, then to get me an easy win he played the GP trial deck. He got an amazing hand and like every game that day got a horrible hand 4 triggers and PG returned 5 and still didn’t get a ride chain. Decided to skip the ride even though I went second got it next turn but I still lost the game.

I was pretty pissed, work that day wasn’t great I forgot to put my football pick in for my work pool. So I relaxed for a bit ^^ came back 2 hours latter for the rematch against the GP trial deck and I lost again. No comment but I did win the next one YAY! (not really)

Im going to the local again tomorrow and with BT07 coming out that day there should be a good amount of players there.

Id like some advice where can I improve my game? Comments about my deck list, the general play style with OTT, or VS certain clans is welcomed.

Here’s my current deck list 10/11/12
Godhawk
8 crit
4 draw
4 heal

3 gemini
2 milk
4 Chocolat

4 crescent moon
1 Battle siser Mocha
4 red eye
4 toms (too good to not run 4 at lease in the current meta)
4 half moon

2Stil Vampir
1 CEO
4 Full Moon

Last edited by SpitFire on 2012-10-11, 12:12; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-28, 20:38

Your retire complain about Blaster Blade is the same thing nearly every deck gets. As for asking for help with Tsukuyomi, just wait till tomorrow ;)
Back to top Go down
SpitFire

SpitFire

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-28, 20:52

My complaint wasn't focused on BB but that they do a lot of things very well. Probably me just being salty. What are the bad match ups for tsukuyomi OTT?
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-28, 21:25

It's pretty much salt, bro.

Barcgal is Conroe for G2s instead
Blaster Blade is Berserk Dragon but can't target G1s unless you ride it
Alfred is an expensive +1 compared to Dragonic Overlord even
Alfred only hits stage 3 vs 10k vanguards. I know you're OTT, but that's a choice you made and you have to live with being massively exploited until you get Tsukuyomi
Everything else is vanilla or copies
They have no hand advantage engine

Now PALAMEDES, that fucker is a different story. Conditionless 3-stage rear-guard. Can't be hit by Berserk dragon, only another Blaster Blade, and /does/ generate a form of hand advantage by forcing lots of guard. Though can be a liability if you guard it too much.

Don't get me wrong, RP are a great clan. And so are other clans like OTT.
Back to top Go down
Epideme

Epideme

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-28, 22:35

Man don't complain about Royals getting hand advantage when Tsukuyomi is an effortless +2. Complain abut Palamedes and his complete borkenness. But yeah the guy probably got lucky with his BB timing. Killing Toms is the best and most fun thing you can do with it.
Back to top Go down
SpitFire

SpitFire

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-29, 09:07

he did get out Palamedes at least once, WOW its effect is V/R. hmm

As an OTT player i try to think defensively and i often attck rear gears when i find one i dont like. but sometimes i feel like i do it to much.

Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-29, 10:37

Just remember that if you have a 2 stage column hitting an RG, you just turned -2 stages into -1 for the opponent. In short, if their RG is replaceable, you just gave them an easy way out. The only time this doesn't apply is to cards with high priority like Palamedes. They'll usually have to spend all their guard just to keep him.

Last edited by Alice on 2012-09-29, 11:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SpitFire

SpitFire

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-09-29, 10:47

Good advice i will try to keep that in mind
Back to top Go down
SpitFire

SpitFire

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-10-01, 17:26

Well another disappointing local. Went 1-3 (round 4 was a bye)

Round 1: Vs angel feather, ive never played this clan before but i knew its design is to heal like crazy. my plan was to keep attacking the Van unless i felt the need to remove a RG and that's how it went. im pretty sure i was able to get to full moon between my hand and the ride skills. but it didn't matter too much he had his limit break VG out so i used my 3rd attack on his 10k RG to not put him at 4 damage but he guards anyway.
he pulled a heal/crit next turn so we were then at 2 damage each. i may have over guarded here but idk. i blocked enough to cover the first attack from VG, he got heal/crit so when he attacked with that Row he had 10k + crit i had to use alot of cards to block it. now that i think about it this was probably the turning point of the game. i lost hand advantage at that point and with him healing every turn...

Game 2 was worse i think i missed my first ride so i skipped. he got 2 double triggers in the game ect

Round 2: i was once again paired up against my friend and once again i couldn't ride for shit. missed grade 1 twice but of course he cant get a grade 2. he pulled a crit on his first attack but i pulled 2 heals and a crit of my own and some how was able to win. second game was a little more standard but think he still couldnt get his limit break, while i had use of 3 toms so GG.

Round 3 was against Nova Grapplers- game 1 i got my rides and he couldnt get a grade 1 so GG
game 2 i couldn't get half moon and Rode to Ceo instead of skipping turn and trying to get him. He pulled a couple stand trigs that really hurt me and i didnt survie the next couple turns.
Game 3 was similar to game 2 i missed one of the rides and wasnt able to keep up.

I didnt play in round 4 so i count it as a loss.

my hopes wasnt too high coming in.

I can really see the disadvantage if you miss a ride with OTT but of course every clan has that disadvantage.

Has anyone messed around with a OTT build that uses Mocha + milk for a 21k?
Back to top Go down
Alice
Admin
Alice

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-10-01, 17:56

Damn, bad deal. Go practice!
Back to top Go down
SpitFire

SpitFire

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-10-11, 12:22

Updated Deck list

8 crit now

+ 1 G3
+ 1 red eye

-2 Cocoa
Back to top Go down
SpitFire

SpitFire

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-10-23, 10:23

Heres my results from last Saturday.

deck list https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zijXAjr6lA

Round 1 vs (gasp!) Pellinore

Game 1 all me good win.
Game 2 i was incontrol feeling confident but he sacked me with a double trigger. :(
Game 3 Close game i felt i was winning for sure, but we ran out of time and he was at less damage because he pulled a heal on his last turn, and since it was my last turn he blocked everything so we wouldnt tie. i didnt get any triggers. im pretty sure would have won other wise.

Round 2: vs Pellinore

Game 1 i won
Game 2 he won because he rode someone else besides pellinore.
Game 3 i won

Round 3: vs Nova (my friend again)
game 1 i was on the winning side of all the trigger pulls so i won.
game 2 he got ride stuck gg

Round 4: vs OTT souless build. i had never faced souless before but i new how they worked. i was worried that with the huge hand he would have that i wouldnt be able to finsh him off.

Game 1: all me and i quickly realized that hand advantage doesn't mean much when i have silent tom. one big mistake i saw him making was he would call 2 toms so early like as soon as he got G2. but toms really aren't effective until late game so i just took them out one at a time when it was convenient.

Game 2 I was nailing my rides and again he put his toms out too early. i won

I MADE TOP 4!

Round 5: vs Souless OTT (different player from round 4)

Game 1 i won

Game 2 he won

Game 3 i had put him a 3 damage early game and attached with my Full moon he didn't guard and i pulled that double crit :D

Round 6!! vs Pellinore/Garamore different player from Round 1,2

This is apparently the guy who topped in Atlanta with pellinore. not sure if #1 or #2 but his build seemed to be better then the other build i faced that day.

Game 1 i ended up winning nothing crazy

Game 2 He rode Garamore and i did my best but i think the lack of triggers on my part left him with more cards and less damage then what i needed to win.

Game 3! for 1st place!

game was going well i got a free ride or two and was feeling good. had good hand advan and was a 4 damage he attacked with garamore i think and i guarded enough to require 2 triggers.

First Check,,,,,,,,, Crit! all on van :/

Second check crit! FUcK!

so my first damage was a heal but it wasnt enough i needed 2. GG!

got some packs and got a RR so it was fun but DAMN do i wish i would have perfect Guarded that! i had one but decided to play the odds cause i knew he would be swinging hard once he got his LB OH well

Over all could i have gotten 1st i think, but that's how it goes and im happy with my deck list.

PS not one time Did i see or hear of a GP player getting the Sup ride with pellinore serves them right for jumping on that bandwagon. Plus i was the only one running Tsukuyomi and i was happy that in the battle of OTT vs OTT Tsukuyomi came out on top.

Back to top Go down
Omnigeek

Omnigeek

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty2012-12-03, 02:02

SpitFire wrote:
Has anyone messed around with a OTT build that uses Mocha + milk for a 21k?

Technically, you can't unless you intend to keep Mocha as your vanguard for the entire game. It's a mistake I made when I was truly "beginning" to learn the clan, but Milk only gets the 4k boost when it's supporting the vanguard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help   My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help Empty

Back to top Go down

My Vanguard Experience so far and OTT help
Page 1 of 1